dual alts

I have a 2000 Tahoe with 5.3 and I want to keep the factory electrical bone stock alt,battery hole nine but I want to add a mechman 400 amp alt dedicated to the audio side.My question is what do I need to do to properly wire or control the second alt any help is appreciated.

If you aren’t gonna upgrade anything else then there’s no need in getting an alternator that generates more current. You would need to at least do a big 3 upgrade to generate that upgraded current. Because the factory wires only can support about 150 amps of current. Upgrading an alternator wouldn’t negatively affect your vehicle. Mechman makes a dependable alternator that has a lifetime warranty. Now when it comes to dual alternators,  from what you have stated about wanting to keep things factory and stock tells me that you aren’t gonna be pulling enough current to need a dual alternator setup. What kind of car audio system do you have or planning on having?

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

I thought you said you want to keep that vehicle’s electrical system stock? That’s far from stock. You confused me. Lol! But now I kinda understand what you mean, you wanted to keep you vehicle’s factory electrical system stock and dedicate the upgraded electrical system to your car audio setup. Don’t do that. You don’t need to do that. You need to double up on them 2/0 welding runs on that big 3 if you get that mechman 400 amp alternator to support that current draw. One 2/0 welding cable would not support 400 amps of current. You don’t need dual alternators. Just upgrade to that mechman alternator and that would be more than enough. Delete that front battery too. You’d be super happy.

6 hours ago, wamba said:

yea sorry for the confusion that is what i was trying to say. so i would need four runs of 2/0  to support everything properly,and thanks for the help

No. You already have 2 runs of 2/0 welding cable going from your alternator to your lto bank, correct? Just double up 2/0 welding cables on the big 3 grounds and the lto bank ground. Can you explain the wiring under your hood to me and did you delete your front battery?

Archived