Sonic Electronix

One Point Two..

To answer your question directly:  No.

The whole point I am hoping to make is knowledge is power.  

For the sake of expediency I presented the JL audio article and YouTube video as but two examples of what are the issues resident to bandpass, vented, and sealed enclosures echoed by electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, academics, and experienced hobbyists within the realm of audio. 

Am I saying the JL audio article and You Tube Video are absolute irrefutable gospel and the last word ?  Absolutely not.  Am I evangelizing against bandpass boxes ?  Absolutely not.  

All I'm saying is here's what one faces when building or buying such an enclosure and know what you're getting involved with.  One can do with the information what they wish and assign credibility value to it as they see fit. 

I can see an Nth Order bandpass box having some real value as a mid range  especially if  the -3dB skirts can be tuned to work without overlaps or peaks in a three way system using a low, mid , and high frequency driver.

I've been in things computers, electronics, and audio for over forty years and in terms of speaker box construction:   We live in an incredible time where one can run through any number of box designs on or offline and evaluate such designs without picking up a power saw.   It's much easier to change designs and parameters with a few screen movements than go through all constructing a box.   

Yes I was building boxes way before "boxware" and yes I have a few great ideas that didn't work so great.  

In that same time space I also know there's absolutely no experience for hands on building and testing and to treat simulation and modeling software as absolutely irrefutable covering all engineering is just absurd.  Such software is supposed to work as but one tool of many in any kind of engineering endeavor.

Alas I must admit in my first post I was confusing Nth order active bandpass filters with Nth order bandpass boxes.   Stuff happens.   

I think the original poster has had their question answered and now they can at least be somewhat motivated to gather more both on and offline and at least make an informed and intelligent decision as to what they wish to do. 

Archived