Sonic Electronix

Talk to @1point21gigawatts, he designed a box for 2 15's running off a Taramps smart 3k that did 157.7 I believe at 41hz. That's a musical box as well. I suppose if the owner decided to play with the tuning of the box to play at the same frequency as the cabin gain, he could probably get that score above 160, though the box wouldn't be very musical. More like a 1 note wonder burp box 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

It's possible sure. Though probably not in a musical / daily driver environment.

You'd be playing a game of maximizing efficiency. Make panels and surfaces rigid so they don't absorb energy. Play with tuning so you can maximize resonance around a specific frequency.

So, yes,  you can do 160 on 3k. However it wouldn't be a musical 160. It would be purpose  built and engineered for a meter.

What type of vehicle and what type of subwoofers and how many and what type of amp? And the enclosure that did that 157.7 was a regular bass reflex enclosure, it isn’t a wall, it’s subs up, port side, but it’s above the window line so it’s categorized in the wall category in comps. And it was a 41.5hz frequency and that’s what his cabin peaks at, at least that’s what he thinks his cabin peaks at. Neither one of us knew what his cabin peaked at before I did that enclosure design and he never intended on competing and just wanted a good sounding enclosure so I designed the port about 12sq” per cube so it would have good bandwidth but because of sizing of the enclosure and port location in reference to the vehicle’s door panel and subwoofers location in reference to the roof, it resonates really well and could achieve good spl and because of the port it has good bandwidth. If I would of known that he wanted to compete and that his cabin peaked at 41.5hz then I would of tuned that enclosure higher and made the port and enclosure bigger so at 41.5hz it would do stupid numbers but that enclosure wouldn’t be musical and on some of the lower notes the subwoofers could possibly reach mechanical limits. It would be a strictly comp enclosure. But the enclosure I designed for him is ideal because it’s his only vehicle and competing isn’t what’s important to him and it’s a budget build and he doesn’t want interchangeable enclosures.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

21 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Talk to @1point21gigawatts, he designed a box for 2 15's running off a Taramps smart 3k that did 157.7 I believe at 41hz. That's a musical box as well. I suppose if the owner decided to play with the tuning of the box to play at the same frequency as the cabin gain, he could probably get that score above 160, though the box wouldn't be very musical. More like a 1 note wonder burp box 

Just to let people know so they can build a 1 note wonder burp box. It is when you make the enclosure big, not too big though, around 20% above recommendations, around 16 square inches of port area per cubic foot and tune it a little bit below the cabin frequency peak and when that cabin peak frequency is played, that enclosure would do spl number wonders. But because of being that big and tuned that high would create the risk of when lower than tuning frequencies are played the subwoofer(s) would reach it’s mechanical limits and cause the former of the subwoofer’s voice coil to come in contact with the subwoofer’s magnet aka bottoming out. 

@Dafaseles, you are correct, that enclosure wouldn’t be musical. I wouldn’t design one unless they asked. But It would be nice to have different enclosures so that one is strictly for using in comps and one is for using outside of comps.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived