Second Skin Audio

So ive run out of ideas. i have a single Sundown Zv.5 18 in a cpillar wall. this is all in the back of my honda pilot and my rear chamber is 8 cubic feet tuned to 26 Hz and my top side is 14 cubic feet tuned to 45 Hz. for some reason i cannot get it to play above 35Hz at a high volume. it just fall right off and dosnt get any louder after 35. anyone know about 6th orders and can help?

Is it parallel tuned or series tuned? I’m guessing it’s a series tuned. And since I don’t know the port areas I’m gonna focus on that and then the tuning. If it’s series tuned then the rear section should have minimal port area and the front section should have a lot of port area. This is the main problem people have with series tuned 6th order enclosures.  What are the port measurements on the rear section and the front section? Port sizing is probably the problem. And another problem that I know is the front section should be tuned higher too. Ideally an octave higher than the rear section. So, 52hz. Once I know the port areas (rear and front) and what type of 6th order enclosure it is (parallel tunes or series tuned), I can further assess and help. Once I know more, I can tell you the port areas needed and you can build another enclosure and I already told you the tuning. The ratio is already fine.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

21 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I just looked up the specs on that subwoofer and the rear section is too big too. Just waiting to hear from you and i can help you design a good 6th order enclosure.

the rear is 2-6 inch tubes not flared at 24.5 inches and the front is at 12 by 12 square at 2.5 inches. i was thinking maybe my box rise just lines up at those higher frequencies??

The front section needs to be tuned higher and have more port area. When I get off work I’m gonna run some calculations. You can get away with just breaking down that port and cutting the cutout bigger and doing the port again instead of building another enclosure.

Port area- 23.75sq” per cubic foot. 
Tuning- 52hz. 
Port should be 17.5” in height and 19” wide. If it’s 14 cubic feet after subwoofer and bracing displacements then that port should be 6 5/8” (that includes the front board(s), when you stick a tape measure in that port it should say 6 5/8”). 6 5/8” is the length it should be if it’s an external port. Let me do some more calculations to tell you the correct port length on that enclosure if you want the port to be internal instead of the external. The 14 cu. ft. net volume decreases, so I have to do more calculations. The decrease in net volume is ok and could help the bandwidth as well. Hold up.

4 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Tuning- 52hz. 
Port should be 17.5” in height and 19” wide. If it’s 14 cubic feet after subwoofer and bracing displacements then that port should be 6 5/8” (that includes the front board(s), when you stick a tape measure in that port it should say 6 5/8”). 6 5/8” is the length it should be if it’s an external port. Let me do some more calculations to tell you the correct port length on that enclosure if you want the port to be internal instead of the external. The 14 cu. ft. net volume decreases, so I have to do more calculations. The decrease in net volume is ok and could help the bandwidth as well. Hold up.

Complexities of a series 6th order. Might have to have you design mine @1point21gigawatts 👍

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

27 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Tuning- 52hz. 

I made a typo, not 6 5/8”. Correct length is 8 5/8”. I got mixed up because of the 6 in the measurement (8.619514891709423“)

For the port to be internal, to yield the same ideal frequency, the port would have to be 18 7/8” long and the net volume would go from 14 cu. ft. to 9.75 cu. ft. I can tweak the port and some can be external and some can be internal. Let me do some tweaking to calculate a good 1:1.5 ratio, or close to.

Archived