Sonic Electronix

Gain and RMS Power Rating - SMD DD1

(build will be located at the bottom) 

I recently purchased a SMD-DD1, and it is very much a game changer! However I couldn’t help to think of something regarding RMS and gains (which I cannot find any info on) So here it is - Are amplifiers rated for their RMS power to clipping? As in, my gains were set with the DD-1 and is turned 1/2 up. However my amplifier is rated at 2000w rms and my (2) 12’s at 500w each. They sound very clean, but I am looking to upgrade my subwoofers and keep the same 2000w amp. I would like to have the amp be able to deliver more power to the subs but the amp is already set at the max gain @ -5db and my current subs are handling it no problem. (Sorry to get sidetracked) I hope you can understand what I am asking here. Are amps rated at RMS power for wattage up to clipping or is the gain maxed out the RMS power rating (obv into clipping) I’m somewhat familiar with how max power works, I’m really looking to add (2) resilient sounds gold 12’s (1000w rms ea) 

(see current build below)

thank you,

Grayson

OFC 1/0ga wiring all around

XS Power D3100

Skar rp.2000w mono

Skar rp.1000w 4 channel

(2) Alpine Type R’s (500wRMS)

(older model... been bumping these for 12 years)

(2) skar FSX6.5 and (2) Skar Bullet tweets (ran active)

5 cubic foot Enclosure (subs down aero port back)

Stock 150amp alt (will upgrade down the road, current voltage drop not under 13.3)

SMD DD-1

SMD dist. Blocks and fuse holders

Thanks again!

The gain is there to match the output voltage of the head unit to get max clean output. Regardless of where the gain dial is set, as long as it's giving clean power, right before clipping (the DD-1 is the perfect tool for that)  and not clipping, you're getting "rms". I put that in quotations because you also have to take into account your electrical and impedance/ box rise, so even if you're running your subs at 1 ohm, that amp never really "sees" 1 ohm. There's some great videos on YouTube about box rise. So I would say, if you're going to upgrade to those resilient sounds gold subs, if you want the most out of your system, you'll probably want to upgrade the amp as well. Back to the electrical side, obviously, if your voltage is dropping too much, the amplifiers can't produce the clean wattage anyway. And I'm sure you know... clipping is bad mmmmmmkay

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

2 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

The gain is there to match the output voltage of the head unit to get max clean output. Regardless of where the gain dial is set, as long as it's giving clean power, right before clipping (the DD-1 is the perfect tool for that)  and not clipping, you're getting "rms". I put that in quotations because you also have to take into account your electrical and impedance/ box rise, so even if you're running your subs at 1 ohm, that amp never really "sees" 1 ohm. There's some great videos on YouTube about box rise. So I would say, if you're going to upgrade to those resilient sounds gold subs, if you want the most out of your system, you'll probably want to upgrade the amp as well. Back to the electrical side, obviously, if your voltage is dropping too much, the amplifiers can't produce the clean wattage anyway. And I'm sure you know... clipping is bad mmmmmmkay

Thank you for your help. It’s still a factor to consider when getting a new amp. - Are amps rated for the RMS up to clipping or RMS past clipping?

There are crappy brands that overrate their amps. I think you said you're running skar? From what I've seen, they do not. So I would say yes, the rms is rated to clipping, not past. 

44 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

There are crappy brands that overrate their amps. I think you said you're running skar? From what I've seen, they do not. So I would say yes, the rms is rated to clipping, not past. 

Thank you so much, I am pretty knowledgeable but there’s no info online stating that amps are rated to clipping point.

Correct, this is the same amp. It should pair well with the resilient sounds 1000w rms. 

I just bought this amp so I would hate to take it back, especially because I have a 4 channel with the same frame dims so I could bolt stack them. The only downside is these amps cannot be strapped if I wanted to go way bigger in the future.... You know audio — Its never enough... hahha

That amp will push those RS Golds, but I wouldn't even be afraid to put that RP3500.1 on those subs (staying with the same manufacturer and series), and you have the DD1 to make sure the gain is tuned correctly. After box rise, that amp won't ever really give out 2000ish watts, and I'd bet my paycheck that those RS Golds can handle a little more than 1000 watts a piece in a good enclosure. But I get it, I wouldn't want to take back things I just bought too, and ease/ cleanliness of install is important as well. And you already know your electrical can handle that amp as well. 

IT'S NEVER ENOUGH! I haven't even installed my 4 12" Q series FI subs... and I'm already planning out adding 4 more subs to that down the road (hopefully not too far down the road... might have to get the wife really liquored up to agree to that one!)

6 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

That amp will push those RS Golds, but I wouldn't even be afraid to put that RP3500.1 on those subs (staying with the same manufacturer and series), and you have the DD1 to make sure the gain is tuned correctly. After box rise, that amp won't ever really give out 2000ish watts, and I'd bet my paycheck that those RS Golds can handle a little more than 1000 watts a piece in a good enclosure. But I get it, I wouldn't want to take back things I just bought too, and ease/ cleanliness of install is important as well. And you already know your electrical can handle that amp as well. 

IT'S NEVER ENOUGH! I haven't even installed my 4 12" Q series FI subs... and I'm already planning out adding 4 more subs to that down the road (hopefully not too far down the road... might have to get the wife really liquored up to agree to that one!)

Right on! Thanks for the info... Its funny because the 08 Expedition is very large and I have a lot of room. However I have managed to design an enclosure that takes up the entire length of the single 3rd row seat down. (The 3rd row has 2 electric seats that come up as one and then a single) I also have a xs power d3100 in the rear. I am able to put up the 2 seats without a problem hitting the setup. (I will post a pic soon for you) its crazy because everything fits within an inch of the seats being up (Only have like 45" L and 16" wide to play with... Who knows, one day I may just say screw the 3rd row seat... and I would if I did not have rear captain chairs for a second row. 

Archived