Sonic Electronix

Gain and RMS Power Rating - SMD DD1

3 minutes ago, PaperNoFlavors said:

Quit being a forum pirate and move on.

Quit giving bad advice and pretending like you are knowledgeable about something you are clearly not. You are a noob and a guppy n a shark tank. Don’t worry about the pirate. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Somebody that asks a question like you asked doesn’t need to be trying to teach or help people on this forum. You are not credible or knowledgeable to teach or help people on this forum. And somebody that asks questions like this it wouldn’t surprise me if the amps they used made noise or went into protect. I guarantee if a pro had your vehicle and the same amps you claimed to have had then he wouldn’t of had any problems.

Drop the drama, keep answers to the original post. Next person who tries to poke the stick is going on vacation. No, I don't care who started it.

RMS = root-mean-square = average voltage under a sine wave. Remember integrals? Think about it. It'll come to you.

Square waves will carry a higher RMS but will not carry a higher peak voltage, ergo there is no increase in motor force to the driver. Additionally, periodic DC contamination at the top and bottom of the wave will change the inductive behavior of your driver.

Big tl;dr power from clipping / sawtooth wave =/= power from a clean sine wave. You can fudge the numbers higher by clipping but it won't translate into real world usability, and I would argue would even be a determent.

Now there IS a standard of rating power established by the consumer electronics association (CEA) which theoretically means it will output rated. But you'll often find that the magic logo and claims can be falsely applied to products. Higher end equipment often won't carry it since it's a moot point - word of mouth advertising, independent tests, no point. And add to that, many cheaper amps just stick big meaningless numbers on the box to deceive consumers who don't know any better to make a sale.

All that to say.... Your question regarding amplifier ratings doesn't really have any straight answer.

Regarding the dd-1, it detects distortion based on an ideal sine wave as a reference point. Not all amplifiers will work with this due to either signal delivery or how they handle signal processing.

Regarding your gain, it's a ratio of input voltage to output voltage. It is NOT a volume knob. Half gain is not half volume.  Example: Amplifier has a maximum clean output voltage of 50v RMS or ~71v peak to peak (dictated by the power supply of the amplifier). With an input voltage of 3v, you would need that ratio to be 23.7:1. Since it's just a potentiometer with no fine labeling or detents, and there is a great degree of variability in input signal strength, trying to do any sort of math here would be an act of futility. That's where the dd-1 comes in. It helps you find the appropriate setting for your individual setup.

As a point of note, you can turn up the gain past this and get higher readings on your multimeter sure. But you can't exceed the power supply constraints of your amplifier. You can't pull 100v out of a 71v power supply, so the equipment response will be to clip - to flatten out the top of the sine waves, which presents the issues I mentioned above.

6 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

Drop the drama, keep answers to the original post. Next person who tries to poke the stick is going on vacation. No, I don't care who started it.

RMS = root-mean-square = average voltage under a sine wave. Remember integrals? Think about it. It'll come to you.

Square waves will carry a higher RMS but will not carry a higher peak voltage, ergo there is no increase in motor force to the driver. Additionally, periodic DC contamination at the top and bottom of the wave will change the inductive behavior of your driver.

Big tl;dr power from clipping / sawtooth wave =/= power from a clean sine wave. You can fudge the numbers higher by clipping but it won't translate into real world usability, and I would argue would even be a determent.

Now there IS a standard of rating power established by the consumer electronics association (CEA) which theoretically means it will output rated. But you'll often find that the magic logo and claims can be falsely applied to products. Higher end equipment often won't carry it since it's a moot point - word of mouth advertising, independent tests, no point. And add to that, many cheaper amps just stick big meaningless numbers on the box to deceive consumers who don't know any better to make a sale.

All that to say.... Your question regarding amplifier ratings doesn't really have any straight answer.

Regarding the dd-1, it detects distortion based on an ideal sine wave as a reference point. Not all amplifiers will work with this due to either signal delivery or how they handle signal processing.

Regarding your gain, it's a ratio of input voltage to output voltage. It is NOT a volume knob. Half gain is not half volume.  Example: Amplifier has a maximum clean output voltage of 50v RMS or ~71v peak to peak (dictated by the power supply of the amplifier). With an input voltage of 3v, you would need that ratio to be 23.7:1. Since it's just a potentiometer with no fine labeling or detents, and there is a great degree of variability in input signal strength, trying to do any sort of math here would be an act of futility. That's where the dd-1 comes in. It helps you find the appropriate setting for your individual setup.

As a point of note, you can turn up the gain past this and get higher readings on your multimeter sure. But you can't exceed the power supply constraints of your amplifier. You can't pull 100v out of a 71v power supply, so the equipment response will be to clip - to flatten out the top of the sine waves, which presents the issues I mentioned above.

My bad dude!

7 hours ago, PaperNoFlavors said:

You are incorrect, 

As my original setup was with the 800.4 and the smart 3.

I just swapped my entire setup the other day. Its too bad I never got a good feel of the DD-1 because the taramp's would show protect with low volume.

I’m sorry for carrying this out so far. I should of just been more of an adult about the situation. I’m sorry for putting you on a pedestal and almost turning into a bully over a post. That was childish and wrong of me.

7 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

Thank you for the reply. This certainly makes sense. "Remember integrals"? — Yeah they were the worst! Probably would have been a lot better if I saw their role in audio.

I’m sorry I blanked on you. I just reacted crazy when I heard you saying something bad about a company I respect and use. I’m loyal and stand up for what I believe in. So please understand. I was wrong and childish about the issue because everybody is entitled to their own opinion. You do seem like you aren’t no noob. So you should know that people don’t like to hear bias opinions on threads unless they are stone cold facts. You could of had some faulty amps. It happens. But don’t let that discourage you about taramps. Just buy taramps products from a different vendor next time. I tried to message this to you but it looks like I’ve been blocked from messaging you. No worries. I hope we can put this in the past and move past it and talk bass like some normal bass heads. Bass on.

Archived