Custom Gaming PC help

Make sure you pay attention to the launch dates of the following new tech. @Fennygolf

1. Nvidia 3000 series GPUs -

• 3090 on September 24, 2020
  • 3080 on September 17, 2020 - the embargo will be lifted this Wednesday, so review will be coming out a day before release... 

This will shift the whole bracket of used and new parts, imo you should not be buying anything right now unless necessary. I will be waiting till the end of October before I even consider buying any parts. 

• 3070 in October 2020

2. AMD 4000 series CPUs  - October 8th, 2020.

3. AMD RDNA 2 GPUs - October 28th, 2020. 

4. Intel Rocket Lake - Q4 2020 - Q1 2021 | Pcie gen 4 support to match AMD current 3000 series. (you will not saturate a pcie gen 3 with any current gpus so it really only applies to emerging storage tech, that is already close enough to a m.2 nvme drive for a consumer that I wouldn't consider this as a required feature currently... down the road / future proof maybe). 

- As it stands today. I am on the side of a 3600 or 3700X for CPU, 3600 for purely gaming and 3700X for streaming/gaming/editing/etc.  However, if price is not a concern the 10600k and 10700k offer competitive solutions respectively. 

- GPU wise I would hold off buying used cards unless you catch a 2080 or above for under 350-400. I doubt supply will be there for Nvidia 3000 series, so expect delays. AMD has a history of bad drivers at launch, hoping they step it up for RDNA 2. 

- Best channel to look for accurate and unbiased benchmark info imo is GamersNexus: https://www.youtube.com/user/GamersNexus

On 9/14/2020 at 11:19 PM, Jln213 said:

I've been building pcs since 1999. Do you have your parts or are you trying to buy everything and have someone put it together for you? 

honestly it wouldnt matter to me if i just paid someone to build it for me and they buy the parts but i want someone that build a themed PC ive seen them bouncing around the internet but i cant get in contact with the builder cause im pretty sure that when i email them they dont see it from so many requests that they get 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 12:02 AM, Joshdashef said:

Make sure you pay attention to the launch dates of the following new tech. @Fennygolf

1. Nvidia 3000 series GPUs -

• 3090 on September 24, 2020
  • 3080 on September 17, 2020 - the embargo will be lifted this Wednesday, so review will be coming out a day before release... 

This will shift the whole bracket of used and new parts, imo you should not be buying anything right now unless necessary. I will be waiting till the end of October before I even consider buying any parts. 

• 3070 in October 2020

2. AMD 4000 series CPUs  - October 8th, 2020.

3. AMD RDNA 2 GPUs - October 28th, 2020. 

4. Intel Rocket Lake - Q4 2020 - Q1 2021 | Pcie gen 4 support to match AMD current 3000 series. (you will not saturate a pcie gen 3 with any current gpus so it really only applies to emerging storage tech, that is already close enough to a m.2 nvme drive for a consumer that I wouldn't consider this as a required feature currently... down the road / future proof maybe). 

- As it stands today. I am on the side of a 3600 or 3700X for CPU, 3600 for purely gaming and 3700X for streaming/gaming/editing/etc.  However, if price is not a concern the 10600k and 10700k offer competitive solutions respectively. 

- GPU wise I would hold off buying used cards unless you catch a 2080 or above for under 350-400. I doubt supply will be there for Nvidia 3000 series, so expect delays. AMD has a history of bad drivers at launch, hoping they step it up for RDNA 2. 

- Best channel to look for accurate and unbiased benchmark info imo is GamersNexus: https://www.youtube.com/user/GamersNexus

so would i need multiple video cards to run multiple screens cause i was wanting to use one screen for gaming and the other for my possible future twitch account or media outlets so i have access to both things at the same time? and at that point to i have to get a certain motherboard to run both of them? and one more question i have multiple fans all of the same kind but im not sure how to link them all together im REALLY new to building a pc just needing alittle guidance

3 hours ago, Fennygolf said:

so would i need multiple video cards to run multiple screens cause i was wanting to use one screen for gaming and the other for my possible future twitch account or media outlets so i have access to both things at the same time? and at that point to i have to get a certain motherboard to run both of them? and one more question i have multiple fans all of the same kind but im not sure how to link them all together im REALLY new to building a pc just needing alittle guidance

SLI is only compatible with 3090 cards in the newest generation, and some other previous generations. It really is dying off for the main stream games with very few supporting it. 

In your case you would just want a single graphics card. They have multiple HDMI or Display ports out that can go to various monitors. You would not need a second card just to run another monitor.

Motherboard choice depends on a few things; currently you only have the choice of AMD or Intel. As I said before AMD is about to announce their new cpus on the 8th, so that may adjust what you would want to buy. Currently, AMD has better price to performance while Intel has maximum performance in gaming. If you are video editing or anything multi-threaded AMD might be the better option for the price. Each company has their own motherboard types due to the socket they use, so watch out for compatibility and use a website like https://pcpartpicker.com/ to verify they will work together.

Fans can be hooked up directly to the motherboard or to a fan controller / hub. You'll want to watch some videos for installation guidance 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Jjzgq_htU&ab_channel=BuildsWithV - Fan Installation Video

You will want to decide on what kind of air flow you want in your case setup, albeit positive or negative air flow. I prefer mostly positive to reduce dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EN3K-eaVA&ab_channel=Techquickie - Positive vs Negative air pressure

23 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

SLI is only compatible with 3090 cards in the newest generation, and some other previous generations. It really is dying off for the main stream games with very few supporting it. 

In your case you would just want a single graphics card. They have multiple HDMI or Display ports out that can go to various monitors. You would not need a second card just to run another monitor.

Motherboard choice depends on a few things; currently you only have the choice of AMD or Intel. As I said before AMD is about to announce their new cpus on the 8th, so that may adjust what you would want to buy. Currently, AMD has better price to performance while Intel has maximum performance in gaming. If you are video editing or anything multi-threaded AMD might be the better option for the price. Each company has their own motherboard types due to the socket they use, so watch out for compatibility and use a website like https://pcpartpicker.com/ to verify they will work together.

Fans can be hooked up directly to the motherboard or to a fan controller / hub. You'll want to watch some videos for installation guidance 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Jjzgq_htU&ab_channel=BuildsWithV - Fan Installation Video

You will want to decide on what kind of air flow you want in your case setup, albeit positive or negative air flow. I prefer mostly positive to reduce dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EN3K-eaVA&ab_channel=Techquickie - Positive vs Negative air pressure

Joshdashef your my new best friend buddy thanks for all the help

1 hour ago, Fennygolf said:

Joshdashef your my new best friend buddy thanks for all the help

anytime man

I try to stay up to date with hardware stuff since I am currently waiting for black friday / cyber monday to buy a pc for myself

On 10/7/2020 at 11:16 PM, Joshdashef said:

anytime man

I try to stay up to date with hardware stuff since I am currently waiting for black friday / cyber monday to buy a pc for myself

You evil genius I never thought about that 😈😈😈

Archived