Sundown Audio

Voltage drop and amp question

EddieFromOhio

First of all. I have an old school Crunch GP3000D-Pro (3000wRMS). Pushing a skar zvx 12v2 D2. It sounds really good but my voltage drops from 13.9 to 11.1 on lower bass. I drive an 08 impala ls  with stock alt. 

My questions are

1. Does anybody know about this amp

2. Will a 2nd battery and big 3 uograde help utilize the power more and help with voltage drops? 

3. I have quit playing my system loud enough to drop the voltage below 12v, because I read that it is dangerous for your amplifier. Is this true? can I damage my amplifier by voltage dropping below 12v?

OK so all the dynos I have seen of crunch amps fall short of ratings. That being said the efficiency is also lacking to say the least. I assume that is why the massive drain is happening.

That being said IF it is a true 3000RMS amp you are prob pulling DOUBLE what your alt can handle. I new battery might take longer to drop to a dangerous level but it will not keep voltage any higher. The Big 3 could actually make it worse bc the amp CAN draw more power through a larger wire. I know you don't want to hear this but to fix the issue with THAT setup you need to first get a High Output Alternator to increase your Charging capability. I would do that BEFORE adding batts or caps. When you upgrade alt that would be a good time to also preform the big 3.
Lastly, Yes your amp is designed to run above 12V and starving it for that can damage it prematurely.
I have done some research and found a replacement stock alt for your car. That is rated at 102 amps.

Some simple math if the Crunch amp was 100% efficient , which none are.. 3000RMS/ 14.4 volts( Max most batteries can produce) is  208Amps.

Looks like you might be in luck with this amp

So, you need 208 amp ALt JUST for your system and most likely your electrical to run the car eats 30-50% of that soooo I would look for 250 or greater High Output alternator, The best brands from my research are Ohio Generator, Mechman, and I hear some pple like Singer alts. I have seen Brand X work BUT through testing they over rate their alts 

19 hours ago, Carrotslayer said:

OK so all the dynos I have seen of crunch amps fall short of ratings. That being said the efficiency is also lacking to say the least. I assume that is why the massive drain is happening.

That being said IF it is a true 3000RMS amp you are prob pulling DOUBLE what your alt can handle. I new battery might take longer to drop to a dangerous level but it will not keep voltage any higher. The Big 3 could actually make it worse bc the amp CAN draw more power through a larger wire. I know you don't want to hear this but to fix the issue with THAT setup you need to first get a High Output Alternator to increase your Charging capability. I would do that BEFORE adding batts or caps. When you upgrade alt that would be a good time to also preform the big 3.
Lastly, Yes your amp is designed to run above 12V and starving it for that can damage it prematurely.
I have done some research and found a replacement stock alt for your car. That is rated at 102 amps.

Some simple math if the Crunch amp was 100% efficient , which none are.. 3000RMS/ 14.4 volts( Max most batteries can produce) is  208Amps.

Looks like you might be in luck with this amp

So, you need 208 amp ALt JUST for your system and most likely your electrical to run the car eats 30-50% of that soooo I would look for 250 or greater High Output alternator, The best brands from my research are Ohio Generator, Mechman, and I hear some pple like Singer alts. I have seen Brand X work BUT through testing they over rate their alts 

Holy crap. I need to purchase an alternator upgrade quick. This thing is smashing my electrical. I got this amp rebuilt, and I have it only a quarter of the way up at 1ohm. It isn't shutting off anymore. But I tested it with a meter and i was having voltage drop to below 9v! No wonder it was going into protect. As of right now I have my meter wired in so I can watch it and make sure I stay above 12 volts.  It still slams really well, but I can def pull a lot more ot of this setup. I just need to get an alt upgrade like suggested. Guess I'll start saving! Luckily the alt is right on top. Are the high output alts direct bolt on like an oem would be? 

I can't wait to get one. I'm barely pushing this amp for now and I can balance a paper towel in my window lol. Sorry a bit excited. Looks like I came across a old school gem! I've included a pic of it. 

received_372806953716478.jpeg

Archived