Sonic Electronix

Changing the system from 1 12” to 2!

Working with 1.2Giga, and he’s a solid dude and tons of help. Narrowed it down to adding another DC 12” lvl 4 12, 1500rms. Gonna wire the 2 2ohm DVC in series, with a taramps 5000.1 2ohm amp, mounted on the rear wall behind the 40 side driver seat. Putting them in a “vented” fox acoustics box, which just has openings not actual ports, so I’m considering plugging them off. 1 run of 1/0 from front battery to (somewhere mounted) shuriken bt-80 battery. Will have dual 1/0 runs from it, into the amp, and dual grounds from the amp. I’m looking for any hints/tips/tricks from installers, I’m thinking an smd dual fuse block for the dual runs in the back. Anything else I’m missing?

0898D49D-5533-416D-AF48-EC4BBA434FB3.png

2D592393-B724-4D4D-B16B-99A47E71E343.png

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Changed plans! Adding another smart 3 instead.... anyone have 2 amps, with a universal bass knob on the first amp? Will it control both amps?

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

5 hours ago, JakeW said:

Changed plans! Adding another smart 3 instead.... anyone have 2 amps, with a universal bass knob on the first amp? Will it control both amps?

Get an RCA bass knob. Pac-lc1 is pretty popular, I bought one to control my two DC 2ks.

- You will just hook this knob inline to your RCAs.

Basically buy another 3 ft RCA to plug into back of radio, run to input of LC1, run original RCAs from output of LC1 to amps, then split the RCAs using a splitter to each amp.

- Alternatively you could pass-through RCAs (I eventually will test voltage to see if the myth that using path-through RCAs drops your voltage...) 

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-LC-1-Remote-Amplifier-Controller/dp/B0002J226O

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you were mistaken when you said "Gonna wire the 2 2ohm DVC in series,"

With two amps/two subs that would put your nominal impedance at 4 ohms, see below:

1_2ohm_dvc_4ohm.gif

You want to wire each sub in parallel to achieve a 1 ohm load, see below:

1_2ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif

Impedance Diagrams: https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/subwoofer-wiring-diagrams.asp

----------------------------------------------------

"I’m thinking an smd dual fuse block for the dual runs in the back."

Side note, love my SMD fuse holders. Also come in any color base/plate you could fancy 🤔 but they are expensive, only downside imo. 

red4_7.png20160609_105029.jpg

4 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

Get an RCA bass knob. Pac-lc1 is pretty popular, I bought one to control my two DC 2ks.

- You will just hook this knob inline to your RCAs.

Basically buy another 3 ft RCA to plug into back of radio, run to input of LC1, run original RCAs from output of LC1 to amps, then split the RCAs using a splitter to each amp.

- Alternatively you could pass-through RCAs (I eventually will test voltage to see if the myth that using path-through RCAs drops your voltage...) 

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-LC-1-Remote-Amplifier-Controller/dp/B0002J226O

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you were mistaken when you said "Gonna wire the 2 2ohm DVC in series,"

With two amps/two subs that would put your nominal impedance at 4 ohms, see below:

1_2ohm_dvc_4ohm.gif

You want to wire each sub in parallel to achieve a 1 ohm load, see below:

1_2ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif

Impedance Diagrams: https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/subwoofer-wiring-diagrams.asp

----------------------------------------------------

"I’m thinking an smd dual fuse block for the dual runs in the back."

Side note, love my SMD fuse holders. Also come in any color base/plate you could fancy " src="https://twemoji.maxcdn.com/2/72x72/1f914.png"> but they are expensive, only downside imo. 

red4_7.png20160609_105029.jpg

Yes I have a bass knob, here is how it’s wired- I have a PAC converter for my rca signal, the knob is after that, then the rca from the knob is into a 2-1 since the smart 3 has only 1 rca in. But how do I control the other amp? And the comment on series, was for the 2 subs. Having only 1 per amp, they’ll be 1ohm each 

2 hours ago, JakeW said:

Yes I have a bass knob, here is how it’s wired- I have a PAC converter for my rca signal, the knob is after that, then the rca from the knob is into a 2-1 since the smart 3 has only 1 rca in. But how do I control the other amp? And the comment on series, was for the 2 subs. Having only 1 per amp, they’ll be 1ohm each 

If the amp only has one RCA in you could ditch the 2 female - 1 male and just plug each of the two RCAs into the amps. Otherwise a cock box or more splitters are in order

"And the comment on series, was for the 2 subs. Having only 1 per amp, they’ll be 1ohm each "

If you wire one amp per sub in series you will be doubling impedance, this will be 4 ohms. Parallel halves impedance, thus 1 ohm.... see diagram above. -

Right! In series was for 1 2ohm amp, & 2 2ohm subs. not 2 separate 1 ohm amps sir. 2 amps I will wire each sub to 1ohm. And the L R rca have no designation on what they control? I could just do 1 & 1!

2 hours ago, JakeW said:

Right! In series was for 1 2ohm amp, & 2 2ohm subs. not 2 separate 1 ohm amps sir. 2 amps I will wire each sub to 1ohm. And the L R rca have no designation on what they control? I could just do 1 & 1!

I see our disconnect. If you have 1 2 ohm amp you will wire 2 2 ohm subs in series / parallel not just series. 

Two 2 Ohm DVC Speakers = 2 ohm load

RCA wise I am almost positive it doesn't matter in the case of a monoblock amp, single channel. It would matter if we were talking about a 2 or 4 channel amp because you would lose the ability to differentiate between left and right signal... yada yada... 

There is a case to be made about pre-amp voltage coming out of your head unit, but I don't see that being an issue on any quality head unit / rca cable. The gain is there for a reason, it adjusts the voltage to the correct floor, regardless of rca voltage.

37 minutes ago, JakeW said:

With the smd fuse block, how did you go about crimping your 1/0? That’s why I haven’t used that style fuse block yet, 

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Hydraulic-Crimper-Terminal-Crimping/dp/B00ZA2P3XM/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=hydraulic+crimper&qid=1600369126&sr=8-6

This is pretty much the exact same one I use. It takes some playing around to get the correct die fitment but super easy once you do. Can do smaller 8 gauge to 1/0 +

- Only tip I have for you is to use some kind of dielectric grease where the terminal meets the wire/jacket so when you put the heat shrink on it will form a better seal against corrosion. If you get tinned ofc wire this is probably unnecessary. 

Archived