Sonic Electronix

Help needed with Jeep Wrangler audio

I'm replacing my stock audio system in my 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU and need some help with a few things. I’ll kind of explain what I have and what I’m going for. I know Jeeps are horrible for sound so I’ll be sound treating the entire floor, doors, and add a headliner. (CLD + CCF + MLV) 

I currently have a BRP 10" sub enclosure that mounts on the passenger side behind the rear seats. I got a JL Audio 10W3v3 sub to go with it. JL recommended to use this sub. The box has ~ 0.75f^3 internal air space and the 10W3v3 is recommended for 0.625ft^3. Including displacement of the sub I get closer to the recommended air space.

I also am upgrading to the Pioneer DMH-2660nex head unit.

Most likely getting AudioControl DM810 for a DSP as I can get a pretty good deal on this, cheaper than I can get the DM608.

Questions:

I have been reading around forums to see what components to get. I have ~$300 for a set up front and another ~$300 for a set in the soundbar. A big question, that leads into another question, is should I get 2 sets of components or get coaxials for the soundbar and disconnect the stock tweeter? The other question is how should I set up amps and dsp? I was thinking of having DSP control signal to all speakers (9 in total if I have 2 sets of components). If I control every speaker, should I get 3 amps? (2 Four channel amps for front speakers and soundbar, and a mono for the sub) Or if I just go with coaxial in soundbar then I can get a 6 channel amp plus mono amp for sub? 
Another amp question, how powerful should it be relative to the RMS of the speaker? For example, my sub is 500 watts RMS, should I get a 500 watt amp or slightly more? I’ve seen advice for each direction, and I don’t know who is giving a better/correct answer. 
Any general feedback on what component speakers I should look at and which amps to drive them would be awesome! I listen to rock/indie/punk and occasionally top 40 songs.

Does anyone have a solution to make the tweeters up front have better pointing, instead of at the windshield? Been trying to find if there is a small speaker pod for the tweeter anyone sells, I can probably make my own or modify something if I can follow what someone else has done. I can also 3d print my own if that’s recommended. 

Sorry for the long explanation and I really appreciate any feedback and help you can give!

-Taylor

As far as the amplifiers question goes, me personally, I would get a jl audio 600/1

https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/car-audio-amplifiers-slash-v3/products/600-1v3-car-audio-slash-v3-amplifiers-98350

And as far as components, they're more expensive than you said you wanted to spend, but I think the sq from my Memphis Audio VIV components sound amazing! Running off a JL JD400.1 for a pair

If those are too expensive, the JL C2 6.5 components are in your price range. I haven't owned them, but I owned the C3's and I liked them. 

https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/car-audio-speakers-c2/products/c2-650-car-audio-speakers-c2-speaker-systems-99617

Sorry, but as far as the other questions, those are beyond my knowledge. I hope someone who knows more can help you out with those questions

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

A 4 channel amp would work if you went with passive crossovers aka the ones you’d mount in your door between the 6.5 woofer and tweeter for each pair. 

If you wanted to set all your crossovers at the audio control dsp you could do that instead. To run active that would require a 4 channel amp for two woofers and two tweeters then either a 2 channel or 4 channel for the rears.

Alternatively you could run passive with the component sets off channels 1 and 2 then the rear coaxials or components off channel 3 and 4. Only down side is you would need the passive crossovers for the components still. 

I like my Rockford T2 components but have heard good things from other companies. High end focal, b2, etc

15 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

As far as the amplifiers question goes, me personally, I would get a jl audio 600/1

https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/car-audio-amplifiers-slash-v3/products/600-1v3-car-audio-slash-v3-amplifiers-98350

And as far as components, they're more expensive than you said you wanted to spend, but I think the sq from my Memphis Audio VIV components sound amazing! Running off a JL JD400.1 for a pair

If those are too expensive, the JL C2 6.5 components are in your price range. I haven't owned them, but I owned the C3's and I liked them. 

https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/car-audio-speakers-c2/products/c2-650-car-audio-speakers-c2-speaker-systems-99617

Sorry, but as far as the other questions, those are beyond my knowledge. I hope someone who knows more can help you out with those questions

Thanks for the recommendations! Those Memphis speakers look great, but yeah definitely out of my price range if I get 2 sets of them, but maybe an option if I only get these for the front and go with coaxials in the back. I've seen multiple posts saying they enjoy the JL C2 6.5 components, so those are also on my radar. 

4 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

A 4 channel amp would work if you went with passive crossovers aka the ones you’d mount in your door between the 6.5 woofer and tweeter for each pair. 

If you wanted to set all your crossovers at the audio control dsp you could do that instead. To run active that would require a 4 channel amp for two woofers and two tweeters then either a 2 channel or 4 channel for the rears.

Alternatively you could run passive with the component sets off channels 1 and 2 then the rear coaxials or components off channel 3 and 4. Only down side is you would need the passive crossovers for the components still. 

I like my Rockford T2 components but have heard good things from other companies. High end focal, b2, etc

Since the DSP can output to 10 speakers I thought why not use active crossover for the components. But 

I'll give the Rockford T2 components a look at. Thanks!

Archived