Sonic Electronix

Calculator for amperage requirements?

And if the rms of the sub is 100, 1000, or 5000 watts, you hook it up to a 3000 watt amp, that sub it's going to see the rms of that amp at whatever ohm load it's playing at at the time

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welllll I don’t think the battery is in the budget at the moment lol! The only other option we had was a 5000.1 2ohm amp, but that’s only 1000w then where we are calculating now. So I guess just put pieces together.... 2nd sub is already here

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

42 minutes ago, JakeW said:

Welllll I don’t think the battery is in the budget at the moment lol! The only other option we had was a 5000.1 2ohm amp, but that’s only 1000w then where we are calculating now. So I guess just put pieces together.... 2nd sub is already here

What subs do you have? Are you planning on giving both amps 1 ohm or 2?

11 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

What subs do you have? Are you planning on giving both amps 1 ohm or 2?

So they are DC audio, lvl 4 12s. They are dual 2ohm. So that’s where the 2 amps, separately driving subs at 1ohm came in. Otherwise it’s 1 large .5/2ohm amp

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

So, the nice thing about those Taramps smart 3 amps is it does rated at 1 ohm and 2 ohm. 3235 @1 ohm,  3179 @2 ohm, and 1960@ 4 ohm. So honestly, if you use 1 amp until you can upgrade the electrical, those subs won't be starving too much. 

3 minutes ago, JakeW said:

Appreciate that. Gosh I’m probably looking at like a mechman 370, and dual runs of 1/0

I love my mechman 370. And yeah, using 1/0 gauge, to be able to move 370+ amps around, yep, at least dual runs

You would divide by the lowest voltage you see at full draw. That will give you closer to your peak amperage then dividing by your average or charging voltage. When voltage goes down, amps go up. Amperage = heat. Hints why fuses are based on amps instead of volts. Hope this helps some.

11 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I love my mechman 370. And yeah, using 1/0 gauge, to be able to move 370+ amps around, yep, at least dual runs

I see some installs require a slightly shorter belt? Did yours?

Archived