Second Skin Audio

What sub to get next?

Humbol

After 7 years of daily abuse, my dd3515 (1st Gen)  dvc 2ohm finally gave out.  Got the big 3, system is running on a stinger power2 battery. Amp is an arc audio ks 2500.1, 1ohm stable. Called digital design customer service and im able to get it repaired for half the price of a brand new one. But i wanted to try something new. Im debating between sundown audio and dc audio. Havent heard any of those subs in person but im sure you guys all have. Currently debating on sundown u series and dc audio lvl 3’s. 
Whats you fellow bassheads experience with how they sound. Planning to use the same box.

E5EBF529-A10B-45AE-9936-7A9D5D085144.jpeg

89 Toyota P/U Single Cab

HU - Kenwood x-396

Front Stage - Kenwood KFC-1094PS

Rear Stage - Kenwood KFC - 6984PS

Sub - Alpine SWR 823D

Amp - Alpine MRP M500

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't help you, I've never heard either of those subs, both solid companies with solid products though. 

I'm just going to say if you post the inside cubic feet of the subwoofer enclosure and the port cubic inches and length, that would help the experts help you out

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

2 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

I can't help you, I've never heard either of those subs, both solid companies with solid products though. 

I'm just going to say if you post the inside cubic feet of the subwoofer enclosure and the port cubic inches and length, that would help the experts help you out

Alrighty, ill get on that on my next off haha

89 Toyota P/U Single Cab

HU - Kenwood x-396

Sub - Alpine SWR 823D

Amp - Alpine MRP M500

2 hours ago, Humbol said:

After 7 years of daily abuse, my dd3515 (1st Gen)  dvc 2ohm finally gave out.  Got the big 3, system is running on a stinger power2 battery. Amp is an arc audio ks 2500.1, 1ohm stable. Called digital design customer service and im able to get it repaired for half the price of a brand new one. But i wanted to try something new. Im debating between sundown audio and dc audio. Havent heard any of those subs in person but im sure you guys all have. Currently debating on sundown u series and dc audio lvl 3’s. 
Whats you fellow bassheads experience with how they sound. Planning to use the same box.

E5EBF529-A10B-45AE-9936-7A9D5D085144.jpeg

What’s the specs on that enclosure?

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

I ran the 3512 1st Gen as well back 15 years ago. Great subs.

That being said... After paying for shipping there and back plus half the price of new... You could buy a different sub probably just as good brand new.

I've ran Sundown SA series, good subs. The U series are like their big brother. Handle more power but the same sound and same enclosure recommendations.

Your enclosure will dictate what sub will be best... The enclosure could be considered the most important part of any system... A great sub in the wrong box will sound bad... But even bad subs can sound good in the perfect box.

Singer 250amp Alt, Singer PCM bypass harness

Titan8 Lithium Underhood safe BCI PWR-S5

Big 3 W/ dual runs of power/ground. All 1/0awg OFC

SounDigital EVO 5K amp, Two 15" Fi SSD subs

Next Level Fabrication @ 7 cubes net, tuned to 32HZ 

2 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

2 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Not too sure, bought it from a shop. But i can measure it out on my next day off. 

89 Toyota P/U Single Cab

HU - Kenwood x-396

Sub - Alpine SWR 823D

Amp - Alpine MRP M500

1 hour ago, Backwoods said:

I ran the 3512 1st Gen as well back 15 years ago. Great subs.

That being said... After paying for shipping there and back plus half the price of new... You could buy a different sub probably just as good brand new.

I've ran Sundown SA series, good subs. The U series are like their big brother. Handle more power but the same sound and same enclosure recommendations.

Your enclosure will dictate what sub will be best... The enclosure could be considered the most important part of any system... A great sub in the wrong box will sound bad... But even bad subs can sound good in the perfect box.

I was checking out down4sound and they had pre fab boxes suited for sundown u series and below. Sooo maybe a new box would be an option too if this box doesnt work out lol but ill check out sundown. 

89 Toyota P/U Single Cab

HU - Kenwood x-396

Sub - Alpine SWR 823D

Amp - Alpine MRP M500

That enclosure you have now looks good. Custom built. Don’t buy a prefab enclosure. Them prefab enclosures that are built to specs on certain subwoofers seem like the way to go, but them subwoofer enclosure recommendations aren’t always correct and they don’t factor in rms or cabin area. And most subwoofer enclosure recommendations don’t even correctly factor in the t/s parameters when it comes to the enclosure recommendations. Now when a company has minimal information about what the customer is gonna do with a product then they recommend something average and safe, no matter the factors, in regards said product. So that leaves too many variables unattended to. That’s why it is ALWAYS best to get a subwoofer enclosure designed and built according to you vehicle and car audio system.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

I agree with 1.21giga. Even the pre/pro fab from D4S for a single 15 is 300 bucks.... For that price you can get a box custom built... And for that SUV, i would go with Sub up and port back to the rear if you had the room for it. 

But using your current box is a possibility... But i would not be surprised if that enclosure is tuned a bit high if it was custom built for that 3515 by someone that had experience with the older non ESP DD subs... Back in the day is was very common to tune boxes for those subs around 40hz. And they worked in a WIDE range of sizes... Even the newer 15s are listed from 3-6 cubes per sub... Thats a BIG variance. Not all subs work well in that big of a variance. 

Its always best to have a box built for the sub and vehicle it will be in... But in order to pick the perfect sub for that box we would need to know tuning, port volume, and net volume. 

If you have any tools and experience working with wood you could likely build you own. 1.21 is great at designing boxes and if you sweet talk him he may help you out if he has the time. If not, there are a lot of builders that sell plans, designs, made for your vehicle, sub, and power. There is also builders that sell flat pack/ glue and screw boxes... Meaning you order a box that comes with the wood all precut and you just assemble it, which makes the price cheaper than a built box and reduces shipping charges... Or you could order a completely built box.  

Singer 250amp Alt, Singer PCM bypass harness

Titan8 Lithium Underhood safe BCI PWR-S5

Big 3 W/ dual runs of power/ground. All 1/0awg OFC

SounDigital EVO 5K amp, Two 15" Fi SSD subs

Next Level Fabrication @ 7 cubes net, tuned to 32HZ 

Archived