Rockford Fosgate Tweeter Hissing

Kennyy

6 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I was trippin about the battery thing. I was thinking something else was grounded to your car battery besides that loc.

I appreciate all your replies. 

the only thing grounded to the battery is my loc. Super weird, right now I just unplugged the ground wire on my amp and it stays on???? Does this mean the amp is being grounded somewhere else?? (You can see the ground wire with reducer unplugged on the lower right of the picture)

the ONLY thing that has stopped the new components to buzz is unplugging the speaker wire molex on my NVX mids/highs amp. Does this mean somewhere in that wiring it’s grounding out? Because my amp is still turning on even with the ground wire removed.

0AFBDA94-C65B-40A1-A02B-142F80E83771.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Kennyy said:

I appreciate all your replies. 

the only thing grounded to the battery is my loc. Super weird, right now I just unplugged the ground wire on my amp and it stays on???? Does this mean the amp is being grounded somewhere else?? (You can see the ground wire with reducer unplugged on the lower right of the picture)

the ONLY thing that has stopped the new components to buzz is unplugging the speaker wire molex on my NVX mids/highs amp. Does this mean somewhere in that wiring it’s grounding out? Because my amp is still turning on even with the ground wire removed.

0AFBDA94-C65B-40A1-A02B-142F80E83771.jpeg

And if your rca’s are plugged up in that picture then the amp was trying to ground to the rca’s and that could of fughed something up or could fugh something up. If that amp doesn’t have rca’s connected then I figured out your problem and that amp itself is grounded to your vehicle, which would cause noise, and needs to be moved and use shorter screws to secure that amp.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

2 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

And if your rca’s are plugged up in that picture then the amp was trying to ground to the rca’s and that could of fughed something up or could fugh something up. If that amp doesn’t have rca’s connected then I figured out your problem and that amp itself is grounded to your vehicle, which would cause noise, and needs to be moved and use shorter screws to secure that amp.

So in that picture the RCA’s were NOT plugged in. I dismounted the amp and the grounding issue was fixed, once I dismounted the amp it did not turn on without the negative plugged in BUT the buzzing and lack of sound from tweeters stayed once I grounded it and powered it back on.

so I decided to try a few other things.

-I tried turning the amp on dismounted with no ground, it did not turn on..so that means my amp is no longer grounded to the vehicle and only using the actual ground wire.

-Second  I plugged the ground back in and turned the amp on *dismounted* with the speaker wire molex on the amp plugged in...buzzing and no sound from tweeter was still there.

-Third..I decided to completely get rid of both power and ground coming from vehicle and wired in my dedicated 12V power supply to the amp, keeping only the speaker wire molex and remote wire plugged in from the car. The buzzing and lack of tweeter sound stayed. 

-so since I’ve ruled out positive wire, ground wire and RCA’s...what could be causing this?

so far what I have is, the amp dismounted from any metal, both positive and negative hooked up. Buzzing and no sound from tweeters continue.

The only thing that has stopped the buzzing while the amp is ON, is disconnecting the speaker wire molex on the amp. 

currently I’m running 14 gauge OFC sky high car audio wire from the amp in the trunk  to the crossover on the door. Both tweeter and midbass are also wired from the crossover to each speaker using 14 gauge sky high wire, soldered and heat shrunk.

I have my passenger SPEAKER wire running with the same positive wire for my amps, and air suspension management/compressor...but I’ve ran speaker wire along side power wire before and never had any issues, let alone absolutely no sound coming from tweeters.

ALL RCA wires are in the trunk away from any power wires, my LC2i is tapped into my factory amp In the trunk, so no RCA cables come near my positive wires nor inside the car. 

I noticed that when I put the volume half way up, I start getting nasty distortion or cracking from both midbass and tweeter even with the amp and lc2i gain below half...any ideas?

i attached a picture of how the amp is currently sitting, for testing purpose I have it floating held on with zip ties so it’s not mounted or  near any bare metal.

5CC226A7-D957-45EF-BDCC-7DE46672706E.jpeg

Here’s a picture of the current setup on the passenger door as well, in case needed, tomorrow I’m going to wire up the other tweeter/midbass/crossover inside the trunk directly into the amp with no speaker wires running into the car to see if I still get buzzing. The only things left for me to think are either a small damage somewhere in the wiring from the amp to the crossover  (which I highly doubt) or a bad amp...both components and amp were purchased brand new. 

2E572CB0-BE38-4AA4-BE47-4E7DC157ED20.jpeg

5 hours ago, slowfkncar said:

That amp sounds damaged/defective.

Is there anyway to safely test the amp?

I have a 12V power supply on my work bench  that I’m going to test out when I get home from work with the amp completely out of the car using the speakers that are still in the box. 

I have my driver side components still in the box, would it be safe to wire these components up to the amp to test while powered on by my power supply? Or will I risk damaging my speakers? What would be the best way to test if my amp is bad? 

also what could cause this ? The only issue I’ve found so far is that the amp was turning on even without the ground wire plugged in so I’m assuming the amp has been grounding itself out this whole time. 

Separate the amp’s positive feeds from the speaker wires and wrap the speaker wires with heat insulation tape and see if that fixes the problem and then make sure your rca feeds aren’t on the same side as the amp’s positive feeds and see if that fixes you problem. If that doesn’t work, then hook that amp to some different tweeters with the wires and tweeter exposed so you can see there is no flaw and then see if it makes that same noise and if it does then it might be that amp.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

28 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Separate the amp’s positive feeds from the speaker wires and wrap the speaker wires with heat insulation tape and see if that fixes the problem and then make sure your rca feeds aren’t on the same side as the amp’s positive feeds and see if that fixes you problem. If that doesn’t work, then hook that amp to some different tweeters with the wires and tweeter exposed so you can see there is no flaw and then see if it makes that same noise and if it does then it might be that amp.

Awesome, I will test it out separately when I get home from work on my work bench. Thanks SO much for taking your time out of the day to help out, I will update later when I’m home with work to see what I’ve come up with. Enjoy your day!

Archived