Rockford Fosgate Tweeter Hissing

Kennyy

Hey guys, I ran into a bit of an issue and hoping you guys can help me out.

after installing my new Rockford Fosgate T2 components, I’m only getting a “hissing” static sound from my tweeter. Midbass is playing perfectly fine, just the tweeter is making absolutely no musical sound besides the hissing that stays constant, hissing doesn’t change with volume and begins as soon as the car is put into accessory, music does NOT have to be playing for the hissing to begin and despite the volume of the head unit, no music comes out of the tweeter.

a little about my setup :

-factory head unit 

-audio control lc2i for both subs amp and mids/highs amp as signal. 

-sky high RCA cables 

-sky high OFC wire for all my amps (hydraulic crimped ring terminals and sky high wire reducers for amp inputs)

-Rockford Fosgate T2 components (front)

-NVX vadm2 for Rockford Fosgate T2 components (front components amp)

from what I can hear; there is no hissing coming from the midbass, only the tweeter. Absolutely no sound is coming from the tweeter besides the hissing and it does not change volume with the radio it stays at a low constant hiss, but the midbass plays perfectly fine at all volumes....as soon as the car is put into accessory, I’m hearing hissing from the tweeter (even if the radio is not playing anything). I haven’t installed the driver side door components to see if both tweeters are doing this.

I read the manual for the T2 components and I triple checked all my wiring and inputs, all connections are rock solid, soldered, heat shrunk and ferruled with Tesa tape (I install audio as a dedicated hobby) so I always make sure my wiring is up to par. The speakers are in phase as well and no wires are damaged or touching whatsoever. To clarify my input wires from my amp are going into the “TWT” Inputs on the crossover since I am not using the bi-amp mode.

diagnostics I have done already 

-checked all power and speaker wires for damages (none damaged)

-checked all RCA’s to make sure they are not damaged (all RCA’s are good with no damage)

-checked all ferrule connections (all are rock solid)

-checked to make sure all wires are correct (positive to positive, negative to negative)

-checked my lc2i AND amplifier gains to make sure they’re set properly and not too high or low. Along with making sure my amp is on HI-PASS with proper frequency settings. 

-double checked my crossover wiring to make sure the mid bass and tweeter are on the proper inputs (all is perfectly fine and where it should be)

the only thing I have not done is check my current ground for the mids amp. It’s also a new amp and it is mounted separate from my subwoofer amp so they are not sharing grounds. It is currently grounded to the rear firewall, sanded with a locking nut, washer and bolt.

ive only installed one door so far so I can’t check to see if the other doors tweeter is doing this but I’m assuming it would be hissing also.

any inputs? (Sorry for the long post)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

How are your amps grounded and where?

My subwoofer amp is grounded to the literal frame of the car (below the trunk on bare metal), my subwoofer amp has absolutely no issues.

my mids and highs amp which is connected to my components is grounded to the rear frame of the car (below the rear bench seat) I attached a picture. All the connections front to back seem perfect and solid, I’m going to go ahead and assume it’s my ground on the amp considering the speakers still make fuzzy static noises when the RCA’s are unplugged (might be a Rookie mistake). My lc2i is grounded straight to the battery as well. 

FFA33F62-76F2-441F-9FAF-97C2E7A487DC.jpeg

7 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

If that loc is still in that circuit when you unplug those rca’s then it’s the loc. So you would have to move that loc’s ground from that battery to it’s own grounding location. Because that loc is sharing a ground on your battery and that creates a ground loop which causes noise.

Would a shared ground on my loc on the battery cause issues for only my mids/highs amp or all amps connected to it? Currently my subwoofer amp is connected to the lc2i as well and has absolutely no issues. The mids/highs amp is the one having the static sounding issue, the weird thing is that my midbass is playing and my tweeter is making absolutely no sound besides hissing. I can also hear them crackle and pop when the car is in accessory, once the car engine is turned on the popping stops but the buzzing/static continues.

also I want to assume it’s the mid/highs amp because the only speakers making the static/buzzing noise is the passenger side that’s connected to that amp. All other speakers are running off the factory head unit and they have absolutely no static or sound issues.

I found this factory trunk ground, would this ground be sufficient for my NVX VADM2 if I want to relocate the ground to see if that helps? And if I don’t use that exact bolt can I ground on that same surface just about 1 foot to the left of it? I want to keep my ground wire less than 3ft and that factory ground is about 4 ft from where my amp is mounted.

UPDATE: I just unplugged my lc2i power/ground plug to elimate it sharing a ground and the static still pertains. Can I rule out the lc2i and focus on the mids/highs amp?

2D748C03-4454-4037-82B3-7E3917E367CA.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Kennyy said:

I found this factory trunk ground, would this ground be sufficient for my NVX VADM2 if I want to relocate the ground to see if that helps? And if I don’t use that exact bolt can I ground on that same surface just about 1 foot to the left of it? I want to keep my ground wire less than 3ft and that factory ground is about 4 ft from where my amp is mounted.

UPDATE: I just unplugged my lc2i power/ground plug to elimate it sharing a ground and the static still pertains. Can I rule out the lc2i and focus on the mids/highs amp?

2D748C03-4454-4037-82B3-7E3917E367CA.jpeg

DONT GROUND ANYTHING THERE THAT ISNT ALREADY THERE.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived