Rockford Fosgate Tweeter Hissing

Kennyy

57 minutes ago, Kennyy said:

Awesome, I will test it out separately when I get home from work on my work bench. Thanks SO much for taking your time out of the day to help out, I will update later when I’m home with work to see what I’ve come up with. Enjoy your day!

You are welcome dude!

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Kennyy said:

Is there anyway to safely test the amp?

I have a 12V power supply on my work bench  that I’m going to test out when I get home from work with the amp completely out of the car using the speakers that are still in the box. 

I have my driver side components still in the box, would it be safe to wire these components up to the amp to test while powered on by my power supply? Or will I risk damaging my speakers? What would be the best way to test if my amp is bad? 

also what could cause this ? The only issue I’ve found so far is that the amp was turning on even without the ground wire plugged in so I’m assuming the amp has been grounding itself out this whole time. 

I thought you already tried a new power supply outside of the car? If you take this amp and power it on your test bench, jump the remote to 12v and just plug in your speakers, still got hissing?

1 hour ago, slowfkncar said:

I thought you already tried a new power supply outside of the car? If you take this amp and power it on your test bench, jump the remote to 12v and just plug in your speakers, still got hissing?

I tried the power supply with the amp still inside the car, only using the positive and negative from the power supply while keeping the remote wire and speaker wires from the car hooked up. Today when I get home I’m going to completely remove the amp from the car and put it on the bench with new speaker wire to see if the amp is still hissing. I’m hoping it’s neither the amp or components and that there is probably a pinch in a wire somewhere

8 minutes ago, Kennyy said:

I tried the power supply with the amp still inside the car, only using the positive and negative from the power supply while keeping the remote wire and speaker wires from the car hooked up. Today when I get home I’m going to completely remove the amp from the car and put it on the bench with new speaker wire to see if the amp is still hissing. I’m hoping it’s neither the amp or components and that there is probably a pinch in a wire somewhere

Use a different rca cable too and some different tweeters so that rules out the tweeters and the rca cable as potential problem(s). And slowfkncar is on point about running the remote wire straight from the remote terminal on the amp to the 12v terminal on the amp with a super short wire. Do that too.

3 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Use a different rca cable too and some different tweeters so that rules out the tweeters and the rca cable as potential problem(s). And slowfkncar is on point about running the remote wire straight from the remote terminal on the amp to the 12v terminal on the amp with a super short wire. Do that too.

Okay so quick update.

I have the amp on the test bench right now. Luckily for me the amp is working perfectly fine, I took out my other components out from the box and both tweeter and midbass is playing flawlessly with absolutely no static. 

so I’m ruling out the amp for sure. 

im going to try and put a short wire to the passenger door to see if those components are working fine as well, I’m going to go ahead and assume the speaker wire is pinched somewhere and being grounded?

the way it’s wired on the test bench right now is:

-positive from power supply into positive of amp 

-negative of power supply to ground of amp

-wire jumper from the amps positive to the remote (for turn on)

-crossover wired to amp normally 

this way, my other set of Rockford components are playing perfect

UPDATE:

I hooked up the amp via power supply to the components that are installed on the car and glad to say that my components are working perfect! I was afraid they would be damaged but they’re screaming nice and loud. 

so this leaves me to rule out a bad amp and bad tweeter/midbass/crossover.

is it safe to say the main speaker wires going from amp to crossover is grounding out somewhere? I unfortunately don’t have an extra RCA long enough because I wanted to try hooking up an rca from my lc2i to the amp, right now I’m using my iPhone with an rca splitter as my audio source to test it out

It’s the rca cable or the speaker wires. Location or condition. Better location and condition would solve that problem. And I understand that that loc is doing fine in your subwoofer amp, but maybe that other rca input or output is the culprit of the noise. Why do you need an loc? Just buy an aftermarket head unit and get rid of that loc.

20 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

It’s the rca cable or the speaker wires. Location or condition. Better location and condition would solve that problem. And I understand that that loc is doing fine in your subwoofer amp, but maybe that other rca input or output is the culprit of the noise. Why do you need an loc? Just buy an aftermarket head unit and get rid of that loc.

So I put the amp back in the car.

what I came to the conclusion is the remote wire!! 

I mounted it back in the exact same spot using the same screws to backtrack everything, with the ground UNPLUGGED on the amp and the REM PLUGGED, the amp turns on.

if I leave the ground UNPLUGGED, with the REM UNPLUGGED as well, the amp doesn’t turn on.

does this mean the remote is grounding out the amp?

29 minutes ago, Kennyy said:

So I put the amp back in the car.

what I came to the conclusion is the remote wire!! 

I mounted it back in the exact same spot using the same screws to backtrack everything, with the ground UNPLUGGED on the amp and the REM PLUGGED, the amp turns on.

if I leave the ground UNPLUGGED, with the REM UNPLUGGED as well, the amp doesn’t turn on.

does this mean the remote is grounding out the amp?

No. A remote is what’s telling the amp to turn on. The amp’s chassis is grounded to the vehicle which is what’s generating a ground so it does cut on. The remote is just telling the amp to cut on. If you take that amp off that spot that we, including yourself, have established is a bad place to put your amp, and then plug in that remote wire with a ground wire plugged in and that amp won’t cut on. That makes no sense to me why you would put that amp back in the same spot to assess any problems when you know that spot is causing the amp problems, even though it isn’t the hissing. Move that amp like I told you and then mount it using shorter screws. You probably messed up that loc because of that amps location. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the speaker wires. It could be that rca cable is bad. But honestly, what I’ve thought from almost the beginning of this thread, but I didn’t think it was the culprit until I found out more information, so I didn’t say anything, but that loc is malfunctioning. Loc’s are sensitive and that amp being grounded to the vehicle fughed up that loc’s connection and inner components that are in reference to that amp. The other connection and inner components that are functioning with your subwoofer amp are functioning and not damaged. Causing the loc to work on one part but not the other.

40 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

No. A remote is what’s telling the amp to turn on. The amp’s chassis is grounded to the vehicle which is what’s generating a ground so it does cut on. The remote is just telling the amp to cut on. If you take that amp off that spot that we, including yourself, have established is a bad place to put your amp, and then plug in that remote wire with a ground wire plugged in and that amp won’t cut on. That makes no sense to me why you would put that amp back in the same spot to assess any problems when you know that spot is causing the amp problems, even though it isn’t the hissing. Move that amp like I told you and then mount it using shorter screws. You probably messed up that loc because of that amps location. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the speaker wires. It could be that rca cable is bad. But honestly, what I’ve thought from almost the beginning of this thread, but I didn’t think it was the culprit until I found out more information, so I didn’t say anything, but that loc is malfunctioning. Loc’s are sensitive and that amp being grounded to the vehicle fughed up that loc’s connection and inner components that are in reference to that amp. The other connection and inner components that are functioning with your subwoofer amp are functioning and not damaged. Causing the loc to work on one part but not the other.

Okay got it 

so I moved my amp away from that spot again. 

I used a jumper of brand new wire from the amp in the trunk to the component on the door, still hissing. So I’m ruling out the speaker wire being damaged. I’m typically extremely careful when running wire so I knew it wasn’t the speaker wire. 

The weird thing is that for the most part, my RCA’s are unplugged from the LOC. I tried changing the source and used my iPhone again and it made an even worse static sound so I’m going to assume it’s not the LOC?

im running out of ideas, I know for a fact that 

-the amp is good = tested with power supply and iPhone 

- (tweeter,midbass,crossover) are good = tested with power supply and iPhone 

-REM wire good= tested using jumper from battery to REM input on amp (still hissed with new REM wire)

speaker wire going from amp to crossover is good= tested with a new jumper cable from amp to crossover (stilled hissed)

-Amp is not mounted anywhere that has metal anymore= tested 

-even with RCA’s unplugged, speakers continue hissing 

Archived