Is my box shit?

7 hours ago, Stitjch said:

I have a new under the seat box in my Ram 1500. 2 10s hooked up. 500w rms per sub. 1200 watt amp. The box rattles so damn bad. What can i do?

What year is your ram? Who’s box? Who’s 10”s? I have a 2016 ram 1500 as well. I’ve had a single “Soundoffaudio” cheap passenger side 10” box, & now I have a “fox acoustics”  single driver side 12” box. What I’ve done, is after you unbolted the stock alpine box, And I fitted the box into the truck, I used those brackets off the stock enclosure to bolt the new boxes down. I can post pics if it’ll help you! I also made my own seat spacers, from some material from Lowe’s.

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

I'm not sure of the brand of the box I got it as a package deal. I took the cheaper subs that came with it out and i bought 2 skar VD 10s. They are 4 ohm dvc. They are wired to final impedance of 1 ohm running on a rockford fosgate 1200.1 . They seem to be getting the power they need but i have the gain quite low and haven't really been pushing them because of the noise from the box makes me think the one speaker has an issue. But when i put pressure on that side of the box the speaker sounds fine which is why I'm sure it's the box. It's an 08 Ram 1500. The box fits right under the seat. It's a sealed enclosure it's thinner between the subs (like not as deep) but i think open so technically shared space enclosure. I feel like the box is just not superior quality. They are shallow mount subs so seems there is room for them in this set up. It's just when the bass hits it makes a sound ( not a pleasant musical one but a crack) seemingly from the box not the subs. If i shift the box it can make the noise more toward the center point between the subs also. & the longer I've had it it seems to make the noise even on softer notes at lower volume than before so i don't know if they are stressing the box. 500w rms a piece for the woofers and 1200w rms on the amp. So i just feel like they are extremely weak compared to what i expected from them. Yet they move decent air when i turn the gain up some with no clipping or distortion aside from the noise the box makes that leads me to turn them down for fear of ruining anything. 

On 9/23/2020 at 4:53 AM, Gunnem said:

if the rattles are from the box itself u can take the subs out and glassmat+resin the inside, thatll make it hard but cost a little bit.  u could also add a cut 2x4 or something.  

if the rattles are from the box shaking i know u can lift the seat in your truck with spacers.  then u will have more room to work with at least.

Yea i don't feel it's from the box shaking against something but moreso from the box itself. 

If its the box itself, id do as someone else reccomended and glass/resin the inside. Ive been using the sun flash resin and its stupid easy to work with. If its rattling against something start looking for where and slap some sound deadening in. I put an Sa12 in a 2019 Polaris Ranger and it rattles all the hell. We sound deadened everywhere it touches and bolted the box to the floor. Seemed to do the trick.

8 hours ago, Stitjch said:

I'm not sure of the brand of the box I got it as a package deal. I took the cheaper subs that came with it out and i bought 2 skar VD 10s. They are 4 ohm dvc. They are wired to final impedance of 1 ohm running on a rockford fosgate 1200.1 . They seem to be getting the power they need but i have the gain quite low and haven't really been pushing them because of the noise from the box makes me think the one speaker has an issue. But when i put pressure on that side of the box the speaker sounds fine which is why I'm sure it's the box. It's an 08 Ram 1500. The box fits right under the seat. It's a sealed enclosure it's thinner between the subs (like not as deep) but i think open so technically shared space enclosure. I feel like the box is just not superior quality. They are shallow mount subs so seems there is room for them in this set up. It's just when the bass hits it makes a sound ( not a pleasant musical one but a crack) seemingly from the box not the subs. If i shift the box it can make the noise more toward the center point between the subs also. & the longer I've had it it seems to make the noise even on softer notes at lower volume than before so i don't know if they are stressing the box. 500w rms a piece for the woofers and 1200w rms on the amp. So i just feel like they are extremely weak compared to what i expected from them. Yet they move decent air when i turn the gain up some with no clipping or distortion aside from the noise the box makes that leads me to turn them down for fear of ruining anything. 

If you can find the original purchase, post it. But I’d say a better quality enclosure is the way to go. B box by attend is a mid grade upgrade. They offer carpeted & rhino lined

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

You can add some poly-fil inside the box to make up for the lost air volume from the fiber glass and resin deal if you go that way. That stuff won't take that much space, but it might be good regardless. Boxes under a seat are probably under sized for a lot of subs. Good Luck

Archived