Second Skin Audio

the budget 12" for my application

Jeremy009

Hey guys,trying to decide on buying 1 of these subs, a digital designs 712d2 or American bass xfl1222. The box will be tuned to 35hz. Looking for that deep loud bass. Been playing around with winisd and i saw the xfl1222 has a bit more flatter response, the dd was a tad bit more peaky but more low & highend response. The dd712d graph basically covered the xfl graph. I know graphs is not real world. Who has experience with these subs,which is better built quality and how much port area per cube is more optimal for that loud but deep daily bass?

Thanks

A subwoofer enclosure defines bass more than the subwoofer. Don’t get me wrong, a subwoofer plays it’s part, but an enclosure plays a way bigger part. I can make some Sony subwoofers sound deep and loud. That xfl is better in a 35hz enclosure and has more xmax (3.5mm more of one way excursion) than that dd subwoofer. That xfl would do better. Even if the tuning was different, that xfl is better. If I had to pick, even before I built an enclosure, I would still pick an xfl over that dd subwoofer, no hesitation or questions. It’s a better subwoofer. That xfl subwoofer has better t/s parameters and that dd subwoofer is way overpriced. I don’t care what winisd says. You were told what subwoofer would work better in a past thread and now you post “vs” threads and another thread asking the same question. That’s crazy. Then you jump on winisd and come back asking the same question like we were wrong or something when we told you what subwoofer to get in a past thread. It’s kind of like a slap in the face and an insult to our intelligence. At least, that’s how I feel. But no biggie though. I kind of understand. You just want to make sure and get the best car audio system you can. So no hard feelings. Much love and respect. So let me just answer your questions so you can achieve the most optimal bass experience. First, you want a big enclosure if you want deeper louder bass. But when you increase sizing on an enclosure you must lower the tuning to maintain the mechanical limitations of the subwoofer. And since you want something that would be musical build (because it isn’t a competition enclosure and is gonna be listened to frequently) and maintain loud and deep bass then you would have to incorporate a good port volume and focus on the tuning. The more port volume a port has, the less bandwidth it has. And contrary to people’s beliefs, you don’t need a big port volume to generate big numbers. I designed and enclosure that had about 11.5-12sq” of port area per cube on 2 15s in a truck on a taramps smart 3 and it did a 157.7. Get an xfl on a deafbonce aak and on that enclosure, make it 2.75 cubic feet on 14sq” of port area per cubic foot tuned to 32hz. I don’t know why you are set on 35hz. 35hz isn’t a good tuning. It isn’t tuned high enough to make it a high tuned demo or comp enclosure or be a rock n’ roll or alternative music enclosure. And it isn’t tuned low enough to make it a good frequent listening to enclosure. The only thing 35hz is doing is stopping the enclosure from achieving 25hz tones. A 32hz enclosure would achieve a 25hz tone and have better sound quality and get just as loud. A 35hz enclosure would be able to achieve a tad bit higher frequencies but nothing major, around 5hz. And at frequencies that high, mids should be working, not subwoofers. So that’s why 35hz isn’t a good tuning. And come to think about it, since you want to do a big ratio port volume, that 35hz enclosure wouldn’t have as good bandwidth as that enclosure I recommended.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

That amp is too much for that subwoofer. Backwoods even said if a subwoofer was rated at 1500 rms then go with a 3k. That subwoofer is rated at 1000 rms, so go with a 2k rms amp to factor in the impedance rise and voltage drop. 3k rms is too much on that subwoofer. The enclosure recommendation are in that post I first responded on this thread, amp recommendation too.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

On 9/23/2020 at 9:29 PM, 1point21gigawatts said:

A subwoofer enclosure defines bass more than the subwoofer. Don’t get me wrong, a subwoofer plays it’s part, but an enclosure plays a way bigger part. I can make some Sony subwoofers sound deep and loud. That xfl is better in a 35hz enclosure and has more xmax (3.5mm more of one way excursion) than that dd subwoofer. That xfl would do better. Even if the tuning was different, that xfl is better. If I had to pick, even before I built an enclosure, I would still pick an xfl over that dd subwoofer, no hesitation or questions. It’s a better subwoofer. That xfl subwoofer has better t/s parameters and that dd subwoofer is way overpriced. I don’t care what winisd says. You were told what subwoofer would work better in a past thread and now you post “vs” threads and another thread asking the same question. That’s crazy. Then you jump on winisd and come back asking the same question like we were wrong or something when we told you what subwoofer to get in a past thread. It’s kind of like a slap in the face and an insult to our intelligence. At least, that’s how I feel. But no biggie though. I kind of understand. You just want to make sure and get the best car audio system you can. So no hard feelings. Much love and respect. So let me just answer your questions so you can achieve the most optimal bass experience. First, you want a big enclosure if you want deeper louder bass. But when you increase sizing on an enclosure you must lower the tuning to maintain the mechanical limitations of the subwoofer. And since you want something that would be musical build (because it isn’t a competition enclosure and is gonna be listened to frequently) and maintain loud and deep bass then you would have to incorporate a good port volume and focus on the tuning. The more port volume a port has, the less bandwidth it has. And contrary to people’s beliefs, you don’t need a big port volume to generate big numbers. I designed and enclosure that had about 11.5-12sq” of port area per cube on 2 15s in a truck on a taramps smart 3 and it did a 157.7. Get an xfl on a deafbonce aak and on that enclosure, make it 2.75 cubic feet on 14sq” of port area per cubic foot tuned to 32hz. I don’t know why you are set on 35hz. 35hz isn’t a good tuning. It isn’t tuned high enough to make it a high tuned demo or comp enclosure or be a rock n’ roll or alternative music enclosure. And it isn’t tuned low enough to make it a good frequent listening to enclosure. The only thing 35hz is doing is stopping the enclosure from achieving 25hz tones. A 32hz enclosure would achieve a 25hz tone and have better sound quality and get just as loud. A 35hz enclosure would be able to achieve a tad bit higher frequencies but nothing major, around 5hz. And at frequencies that high, mids should be working, not subwoofers. So that’s why 35hz isn’t a good tuning. And come to think about it, since you want to do a big ratio port volume, that 35hz enclosure wouldn’t have as good bandwidth as that enclosure I recommended.

So i built the box you recommended for me for the xfl 12 with 1 slight difference.  I was only able to fit 2.6ft3 net with 14sq of port for a 32hz tune and boy oh boy that sounded amazing. I tested it with my pops massive hippo 112. Yesterday i visited my american bass dealer for the xfl1222 and he told me that he only has the ribbed surround xfl in dual4 and the normal surround in dual 2,i want to wire down to 1ohm. Not sure,but i think i did mention am from the Caribbean so shipping in subs can be very expensive so i have to make use of the dealers we have here. Should i buy the normal xfl dual 2 or is there any other sub around 1000rms that will excel in the box. The brands i have available is dd,sundown, xfire, Massive audio, re audio,american bass, skar, resilient sounds,deaf bounce and maybe a couple others.

Archived