Second Skin Audio

Stupid question...should I downgrade!?

aburger

I've been on this site for a while, and while I've noticed that the majority would say "go bigger", I have a dilema that I'm throwing out there. I'm currently in the process of updating my cut through, and decided to go from (3) Sundown SA 8's to (4). I'm currently running a Crescendo S1-v2 and on the (3) subs, it sounded great. However, I also recently picked up a DD Audio D5.1500 thinking I would use it for my whole system. The Crescendo is rated 1650w at 1 Ohm, and the DD is rated 1500w at 1 Ohm.

Both amps are underpowered for the (4) SA 8's. So, I'm wondering if I should downgrade the subs to the E series 8's? It's a stupid question, I know, but the E 8's are a better power match for the DD amp (300w vs. 500w) which I'm going to run in a custom center console. The SA's would only be getting about 75% of their rated power which I know for Sundown is pretty low, but within minimums from what I've read. The SA's and E series use the same enclosure size and tuning, so the box would stay the same. I really want to use the SA 8's (because it's cost effective), but will buy the E 8's if it would be worth it.

I'm throwing it out to the bass heads and pros on this site. Any help would be appreciated!

Have you bought the sa8’s already? If so, then downgrading wouldn’t be smart. Because even though them subwoofers are underpowered, they are better than them other subwoofers. Don’t waste your money. There wouldn’t be a better sound, so why spend any more money. Sa’s are some of the best subwoofers. They are tanks.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived