Total noob here. I was the guy that used to just turn gains up until subs were bottoming out then back off a notch but now I want to try and set things correctly.

New pioneer dmh 2660nex media player head unit.

Skar 2000.1 amp

2 Sundown sa10 wired to 1ohm

Just bought a DD1 to try and set my gains correctly. 

Head unit eq are set to flat, amp gains at 0, lpf and subsonic set to high (correct?)

Using android auto/ spotify 40hz test tone as input (problem?)

I've found the digital test tones from the dd1 page but no idea how/what to play them on this new head unit so I used one from spotify

Grounded to amp ground, positive to signal (have tried both channels)

Not getting anything from the DD1 even at almost max volume, no signal, no 40hz detect, distortion.. nothing. 

Also, is there a way to turn off my front speakers for these tests without unwiring them? My door speakers dont seem to like the high volume test tones

Any help appreciated

Thanks

My bad. 

That's how I originally set it up, like the manual stated was through the + and - speaker terminals but got the same results.. nothing.

So then I watched a video of Steve's and swore he had it grounded to the amp ground so I tried it that way.

I have since gone back to test it the way it was written in the manual and still not getting anything.

DD 1 is new.

Battery is brand new Duracell 9v. 

Unit shows power.

I've checked everything I can think of, which isn't much being new to this.  Made sure the sub was turned on in the head unit. 

When hooked up and gains turned up, subs work great.

Sub Level on HU should be set to 10

At what DB is the 40hz tone? Should be 0db or 5db. 

My buddy tried to DD1 my Wolfram 3K on my AVH2300 a few months ago but was getting major distortion when first trying to find max volume for some reason. Unplugging the ground loop isolator before the amp got rid of it a bit but had to use a -10db 40hz tone and my "feedback" noise back without the isolator. So we scrapped it and reset the gain to how it was. I recently got the 2660 to replace the 2300 since the buttons on that died, interested to see if you can get this working. Don't think I'll be able to try DD1 on my unit anytime soon. 

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

7 hours ago, Baydestrian said:

My buddy tried to DD1 my Wolfram 3K on my AVH2300 a few months ago but was getting major distortion when first trying to find max volume for some reason. Unplugging the ground loop isolator before the amp got rid of it a bit but had to use a -10db 40hz tone and my "feedback" noise back without the isolator. So we scrapped it and reset the gain to how it was. I recently got the 2660 to replace the 2300 since the buttons on that died, interested to see if you can get this working. Don't think I'll be able to try DD1 on my unit anytime soon. 

Find the source of the ground loop and you won’t have that problem 

10 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

Find the source of the ground loop and you won’t have that problem 

yeah I know, on my to do list. Either my LC1 or my Wolfram since both were installed together and I had no issues before them. LC1 being the easiest to test lol. 

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2015 Mazda 6

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

On 9/24/2020 at 4:26 PM, Baydestrian said:

Well I'm feeling stupid. 

So, I didn't realize that all the head audio input sources have separate settings. When I was setting the head unit up I had my head unit eq set to flat, sub on etc.. that was when it was on the radio.  Those setting are saved for radio play. I assumed that was for all of the inputs but realized that when I switched to android auto to play Spotify with the 40hz test track that those settings were different and the sub was turned off for that input. So, turned sub on and set those eq settings accordingly and picked up a signal, 40hz detect and distortion at volume 32 out of 40

Edited by Koa
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know...seems to be Pioneer distorts at 32. Need to def do mine since I'm usually at 35/36 on mine. Haven't had any issues with my system though 

2015 Mazda 6