Second Skin Audio

I went from sealed to ported and have less output?

THEMERQ

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more a flare is rounded, the better air flows through the port. But don’t get crazy on flares and fugh it up. I’ve noticed when it comes to thing like this, if something is already sufficient and good, then trying to fix something that isn’t broke usually messes something up. So I recommend to keep things simple and effective so you can get to good bass quickly. But if you wanna experiment with flares to learn through trial and error, then that would be a good learning experience but you most likely would have to fabricate multiple flares until you learn.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

30 minutes ago, airofu said:

Just curious that the bend in that round port is enough to cause an issue (would have thought its naturally curved inside)? Only that I've seen lots of boxes with non 45 slot port right angles, would this be even worse?

The air resonates in the enclosure and passes through a port; in and out. Basically, air bounces around in the enclosure and flows through the port. That’s two different movements. So there is a big difference. And the flares on ports help the ports air flow because of the roll off. Now let’s talk about aero port bends. Bending an aero port disrupts air flow. More of a bend, more disruption. More bends, more disruption. Bends in aero ports decrease air flow and output, no matter the degree of the bend or amount of bends. Bends only work ideally in slot ported enclosures.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 11:13 PM, THEMERQ said:

Also how does the reduced output correlate to the less current draw? Was it just impedance rise? 

General rule of thumb is sealed enclosures will take more power than a bass reflex enclosure. There is more physical resistance in a sealed enclosure thus drawing more power from your amp. That's my answer but I don't know crap lol.

Archived