Second Skin Audio

A Bunch Of Boxes I Made Wrong For Your Critical Pleasure

CFD

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made this box design up today for a couple of the 10SW-4 subwoofers after seeing Toid's video of these drivers. Made for isobaric loading. Has a horn situation on it. 2.84 cubes and 25.7Hz tuning before the basket displacement. F3 around 21Hz.

10SW-4 box response plot.PNG

pics.PNG

pics2.PNG

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 9:42 PM, aquill1 said:

On vacation and I don't have my computer.  Need help with box plans for simple sealed box for behind 3rd row of seats.

Vehicle:

2013 Gmc Yukon (non-XL/short rear)

Subs:

2-SD4 12" (D4)

Amp:

Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1d (birthed 1489rms.)

Dimensions to work with:

Height of 17" or less

Length of less than 48"

Top depth up to about 8" 

Bottom depth of about 13"

Recommended 0.8-1cuft

Opinions on sub placement (forward, downfire or rear)

I haven't seen anyone with the SD4's in all of my internet searches.  Haven't seen a yukon basic setup (similar to truck wedge) that is sealed. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

On 12/9/2020 at 8:21 PM, CFD said:

Also I just want to make a little note that, for my area, I seem to be better than other installers/builders simply for not being a scammer. The last guy that came through for that box had someone else helping him out before and they kind of seemed to take advantage of him. He had 4 of those Boss Phantom 1150 Watt subs not knowing they weren't rated accurately, same with his Hifonics amp. Who ever set up his radio also had a high pass set to like 80 Hz on his subwoofer out which I couldn't figure out for a little while since I wasn't familiar with the radio. Then he also had one of those "Epicenter" audio filter things on it which I really couldn't figure out what it did and seemed like a gimmick. Ended up bypassing it while trying to figure things out and it seemed better without it. Then, after all of that, he had prefab boxes made from 5/8 MDF that were too small for the subwoofers he was originally intending on using. He had me build the box for Kicker CVX 12's, then he came back and said that two were on back order so he had me put in the Boss subs for the time being. Kinda hate those subs for existing since he could have gotten way better subs for the $81 they cost like some Skars or the GW-124 at Wal-Mart that I use. The Duals and Jensens there probably take a comparable amount of power as the Boss subs. It was getting down with them after messing around for quite a while though.

I really don't know who hooked him up before. Wiring was nice, but everything seemed to be set really weird and nobody told him his amp and the Boss subs don't do rated. I looked into what that "Epicenter" thing is and I don't think it should be in anyone's set up. I don't know what the hell it does and their description on their website made it sound like a huge gimmick. I'll post a screen cap of it.

big giant bass thing.png

Audio control epicenter adds the missing bass back into the music. It is a very nice pice of equipment that many people have used for decades. 

13 hours ago, Jln213 said:

Audio control epicenter adds the missing bass back into the music. It is a very nice pice of equipment that many people have used for decades. 

I understand that thing better now. I see what it does. Just seemed like some scam nonsense when I first looked into it. Also, it just didn't seem to do anything in this guy's set up. His install had some little problems that made it confusing. First off was that his head unit was set to high pass the subs at like 80Hz and it took me a minute to figure that out. Then, plainly, I had no idea what the Epicenter was or what it was doing

• 3 months later...

I've got to build the pictured box before I decide what to do with the design. It's for GRS 12sw-4 drivers isobaric. The baffle is meant to hold the two drivers and then be bolted into the enclosure. Two ports on each side of the driver. It's supposed to be sort of a horn as well for projecting sound out doors. I definitely have not modeled it in Hornresp or anything else besides WinISD and I don't know how to. The 12sw-4, I think, has the same motor/magnet as the 10sw-4 yet more cone area so it sort of sucks because it still needs an uber huge enclosure to hit those very low notes. This box is tuned to 23Hz and 4 cubes volume.

Here's a design I released. It's for two 12" drivers ~2.5 cubes ~33Hz tuning.

intheworx.PNG

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived