Sundown Audio

Taramps HD3k Clipping

Angel Galvan

14 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Your truck should have a space under the hood. I'm fairly confident in that. And, let's just say your gain is a little too high. Lowering your gain the little bit to match the head unit output wouldn't lower the output of the sub... lowering the gain a lot to get down to where it's matched to the head unit won't decrease the output. Now, lowering the gain past the matched voltage of the head unit will decrease the volume. Honestly, you won't know if it's a problem with the gain or the amp until you get that electrical correct. I'll put it to you this way, in my truck right now I'm pushing 4000 watts at 2 ohms. I started with 2 80ah AGM batteries and a 160 amp alternator. That wasn't enough. I had to go bigger on the alternator. Yes, that's more than you're trying to do, but honestly, not that much more. So, in my opinion, I would buy the biggest alternator you can. For a Ford truck, you shouldn't have any problem finding a 370 amp alternator or higher. If you're planning in upgrading in the future, the bigger the alternator you get, well, that's just one less thing you have to worry about. I love my mechman 370. 

1 more thing to check, make sure the settings on your head unit are flat. No bass boost or powerful setting or anything like that. Flat, flat, flat, flat. 

Like I tell my friends who ask me about car audio then frown when I talk prices, I tell them all, car audio done right is expensive. That's just the way it is

I actually never thought about that, my eq i do have like the 50 hz low and 80hz low 120hz low cause my door speakers would rattle like crazy. Does me lowering that lower the output ? I measured my headunut rca voltage when I get to about 22 volume it gets to about 2v. I heard for taramps its better to stay at 2v. I'll have to run the test again on a flat eq then.

1 hour ago, Angel Galvan said:

I actually never thought about that, my eq i do have like the 50 hz low and 80hz low 120hz low cause my door speakers would rattle like crazy. Does me lowering that lower the output ? I measured my headunut rca voltage when I get to about 22 volume it gets to about 2v. I heard for taramps its better to stay at 2v. I'll have to run the test again on a flat eq then.

You have an aftermarket EQ? Or is this on the head unit? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

9 minutes ago, Angel Galvan said:

On the headunit I changed it and seems the same volume ill test rca voltage later today

So, what I would do is start over. Set everything on the head unit to flat, then reset your gains and see if that helps. 

20 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

So, what I would do is start over. Set everything on the head unit to flat, then reset your gains and see if that helps. 

Hello so i tested rca voltage and at 24 volume im. Averaging 2v with eq flat on the headunit with a 45hz test tone or should I go lower? I play decaf music so I don't go over 40 hz on songs. I also heard taramps don't do well above 2v on rca. 

I also hooked up my vxf finally and it clips a bit I only see a .2 voltage drop stays above 14v. So I dont think its my voltage. 

So now to set the gain on the amp.

Update i just grouded to the fram and now its much better. Now when I do start to up the volume more I can see the voltage drop from 14.2 14.3 down to minimum 13. But way better now after I grounded to the frame I'm bumping harder. But this sub has more potential for sure and I can't get the volume higher because u see the clip light flicker on heavy bass notes. Rpms slightly drop.

5 hours ago, Angel Galvan said:

Update i just grouded to the fram and now its much better. Now when I do start to up the volume more I can see the voltage drop from 14.2 14.3 down to minimum 13. But way better now after I grounded to the frame I'm bumping harder. But this sub has more potential for sure and I can't get the volume higher because u see the clip light flicker on heavy bass notes. Rpms slightly drop.

The truck is working too hard to handle the car electronics and the system would be my guess.

What are you using to get this 45 hz test tone you're using to set your gains with? 

15 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

The truck is working too hard to handle the car electronics and the system would be my guess.

What are you using to get this 45 hz test tone you're using to set your gains with? 

Youtube -3 db tone sonic electronics. Here this is a video of the clip indicator going off seems like my volts drop down to 13.3 low 13s. Do you think the big 3 upgrade will help it even more ? I also have a 150 amp fuse not sure if that causes it to clip ?

Archived