Sundown Audio

Taramps HD3k Clipping

Angel Galvan

Back on the forums with an issue. Does running 4 gauge cause an amp to clip ? The amp gain is barely half way and I was clipping with the headhunt at full volume. The taramps little clip indicator was blinking. Will running 0 gauge solve the issue ? Truck was barely dropping rpms so im pretty sure its in the electrical.

Sub: Skar DDX10 @ 1OHM

Headunit: Pioneer AVH 4100

Video Link : 

And post up your supporting electrical. I had a 160a alt, 0ga, run to my taramps smart 3 hooked to a power acoustik bamf 104, and could actually pull voltage down to almost 10v. Upgraded to a shuriken agm 80ah battery in the rear, and that helped the reserve tremendously. (Which is actually for sale lol)

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

That amp calls for 4 awg power and ground wires from the manufacturer, that should be plenty sufficient. Yes, your electrical is important. If you haven't done the big 3 upgrade, do it. If your voltage is dropping significantly while playing, upgrade your alternator and battery. 

As for clipping, turning your head unit to max isn't recommended unless you know for sure your head unit can go max volume without sending a clipped signal. The vast majority of head units cannot accomplish that. 

To check how high you can go with your volume on your head unit... the only way I know how it's with a DD1. Someone else on this forum or maybe YouTube might know of a different way. 

What I've always been told, which is not the absolute, 100%, do it this way rule, it's if you don't know the max volume of your head unit before clipping, just go three quarters of the way up. Usually your safe there. As for, let's say you use your phone to stream music or bluetooth music, or aux cord music to your head unit, if toy don't know the max volume you can go with that without clipping, use the same three quarter method. Then adjust the gain on your amplifier. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

On 10/2/2020 at 3:51 PM, Dafaseles said:

That amp calls for 4 awg power and ground wires from the manufacturer, that should be plenty sufficient. Yes, your electrical is important. If you haven't done the big 3 upgrade, do it. If your voltage is dropping significantly while playing, upgrade your alternator and battery. 

As for clipping, turning your head unit to max isn't recommended unless you know for sure your head unit can go max volume without sending a clipped signal. The vast majority of head units cannot accomplish that. 

To check how high you can go with your volume on your head unit... the only way I know how it's with a DD1. Someone else on this forum or maybe YouTube might know of a different way. 

What I've always been told, which is not the absolute, 100%, do it this way rule, it's if you don't know the max volume of your head unit before clipping, just go three quarters of the way up. Usually your safe there. As for, let's say you use your phone to stream music or bluetooth music, or aux cord music to your head unit, if toy don't know the max volume you can go with that without clipping, use the same three quarter method. Then adjust the gain on your amplifier. 

Ah okay, it might be my headunit sending bad signal then. But now I have to up the gain on the amp if I have to lower my headunit volume.

On 10/2/2020 at 2:14 PM, JakeW said:

Do you have any upgraded electrical? I think 4ga is quite small to power a 3k

I dont want to get 3k out of it. My sub only takes 1500 watts.

41 minutes ago, Angel Galvan said:

I didn't know the headunit could cause the amp to clip.

Absolutely it can

43 minutes ago, Angel Galvan said:

Ah okay, it might be my headunit sending bad signal then. But now I have to up the gain on the amp if I have to lower my headunit volume.

Yes, you do, but it'll be set correctly, so it doesn't matter. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived