Which fuses do I need?

Hey guys. I have everything ready to hook up my system, except fuses. Going to order SMD fuse blocks for everything, just need to figure out how many and which size fuses I need. Running a Singer 290 power edge. 2/0 ofc wiring from alt to XS Power D4800. Running an extra D4800 in the auxiliary slot in the engine bay. Dual 1/0 from second battery to Crescendo BC-4k, crescendo wants 300 amp fuse but doesn't specify if 300 on each run or 150 on each run. 4g to a kenwood XR401.4, I have a 60 amp for that one. 8g ran to a small infiniti amp for dash speakers. Have a 20 amp fuse for that. Going to be swapping the infiniti for a DC audio 90.4 or similar amp in the future. Subwoofer is a Sundown NSv4. I'm just curious as to where and what size fuses I should be using. I've always had small systems but put whatever size fuse the amp needed in a fuseblock up under the hood. I'm also curious as to which size fuse I should put between the batteries, I haven't gotten a clear answer on that. Specifically need to know if I should be using 150 amp fuse per run of 1/0 to the crescendo, or 300. Do I need to have the fuse block close to the amp, because I don't see external fuses on the Bc-4k. If anybody could help me out, that would be awesome. Thanks.

1/0 gauge ofc can support up to 350 amps of current and 4 gauge ofc can support up to 150 amps of current and 8 gauge ofc can support up to 60 amps of current. So put in a fuse “in each wire” that is the maximum amp capacity or more.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

So, if I miss anything, I apologize. 

I'll start with the amp. 

I was going to run an incriminator audio ia30.1 that called for a 400 amp fuse, and I had the same question. Dude at incriminator told someone, that then told me, if you're running a fused distro block, then 2 200 amp fuses, if your running into a non fused block, then you'd have to use a 400. I don't see why cresendo would be different. 

Some people fuse the alt to the battery, some don't. If you do you would have to fuse as close to the alt as possible and again as close to the battery as possible. They say no more than 18 inches, but the closer the better. If you fuse 8 inches away from your battery, and again 8 inches away from your alt, then you essentially have 8 inches of cable not protected on either side. That's why there closer the better. From what I've looked at, 2/0 car audio cable is usually rated around 400-450 amps, so I would use 400 amp fuses for that. 

Between the batteries, same deal. Some people fuse, some don't. If you don't, the cable isn't protected. 1/0, from what I've seen,  is rated usually around 350-400 amps. I would use 300 or 350 amp fuses. If you can find 350, I would use those. I couldn't find them or I would use them. Again, fuse as close to each battery as you can. So you would have 2 fuse points as well. 

From the battery to the amp, if you're using 1 fuse point as close to the vat as you can, you can just fuse for the amp. If you are fusing for the amp a little closer to the amp itself, you need a fuse close to the battery as well and you would just fuse to the cable you're using (350-400 amps for 1/0) 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

I say fugh it and I just use 500 amp fuses in my 1/0 gauge runs. There’s no way that fuse would ever pop. I have dual alternator runs and quad battery runs. Straight 500 amp fuses in all of them. 390 amp alternator. Because how is it possible for a wire to split the current draw perfectly? It’s impossible. There would be a slight difference. Plus what if there is a big difference in current pull sometimes on certain frequencies? Fuses cost the same, so mine as well get big ones. And whenever an upgrade happens, there’s no need to buy bigger fuses because there are already big fuses in said circuit. There’s no such thing as a too big of a fuse as long as it’s the correct type of fuse.

7 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

So, if I miss anything, I apologize. 

I'll start with the amp. 

I was going to run an incriminator audio ia30.1 that called for a 400 amp fuse, and I had the same question. Dude at incriminator told someone, that then told me, if you're running a fused distro block, then 2 200 amp fuses, if your running into a non fused block, then you'd have to use a 400. I don't see why cresendo would be different. 

Some people fuse the alt to the battery, some don't. If you do you would have to fuse as close to the alt as possible and again as close to the battery as possible. They say no more than 18 inches, but the closer the better. If you fuse 8 inches away from your battery, and again 8 inches away from your alt, then you essentially have 8 inches of cable not protected on either side. That's why there closer the better. From what I've looked at, 2/0 car audio cable is usually rated around 400-450 amps, so I would use 400 amp fuses for that. 

Between the batteries, same deal. Some people fuse, some don't. If you don't, the cable isn't protected. 1/0, from what I've seen,  is rated usually around 350-400 amps. I would use 300 or 350 amp fuses. If you can find 350, I would use those. I couldn't find them or I would use them. Again, fuse as close to each battery as you can. So you would have 2 fuse points as well. 

From the battery to the amp, if you're using 1 fuse point as close to the vat as you can, you can just fuse for the amp. If you are fusing for the amp a little closer to the amp itself, you need a fuse close to the battery as well and you would just fuse to the cable you're using (350-400 amps for 1/0) 

GP car audio has some nice ceramic fuses in 50 increment sizes on eBay. So gp car audio sells 350 amp fuses.

19 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

GP car audio has some nice ceramic fuses in 50 increment sizes on eBay. So gp car audio sells 350 amp fuses.

I don't know why I never checked there. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I say fugh it and I just use 500 amp fuses in my 1/0 gauge runs. There’s no way that fuse would ever pop. I have dual alternator runs and quad battery runs. Straight 500 amp fuses in all of them. 390 amp alternator. Because how is it possible for a wire to split the current draw perfectly? It’s impossible. There would be a slight difference. Plus what if there is a big difference in current pull sometimes on certain frequencies? Fuses cost the same, so mine as well get big ones. And whenever an upgrade happens, there’s no need to buy bigger fuses because there are already big fuses in said circuit. There’s no such thing as a too big of a fuse as long as it’s the correct type of fuse.

At that point I don't think the fuse would do anything? 

17 minutes ago, SpaceKing said:

So what I've gathered is that I should maybe or maybe not run fuses, and if I run fuses, the sizes are arbitrary and they are available at GP car audio.

Also, if you don't fuse, your wire isn't protected at all. You run the risk of burning your car down. That may, or may not happen

Archived