Fiberglass necessary for A pillar pods?

mossman

I'll be fabricating some custom A pillar pods for my Focal FS 165F3 mids/tweets and need to know if I can skip the fiberglass step and just do Bondo over a resin coated fleece.  I'll be covering the pillars in headlining fabric if that makes any difference.  It isn't clear to me why I would need to do fiberglass AND Bondo.

why not just get your shape and mount done then use foam? then you just have to body fill it, seal it, wrap it?

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

34 minutes ago, mothra said:

why not just get your shape and mount done then use foam? then you just have to body fill it, seal it, wrap it?

Not sure what you mean.  How would I use foam?  Styrofoam?  I'm fine with the the fleece and resin step.  I just don't want to mess with fiberglass.

I went ahead and ordered some chop mat, so I guess I'll do fiber over the fleece then finish with Bondo.  I'm still uncertain I really need the added strength, but it will be fun to experiment with fiberglass.  And I'm sure I can find some other projects to use it for.

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead and ordered some chop mat, so I guess I'll do fiber over the fleece then finish with Bondo.  I'm still uncertain I really need the added strength, but it will be fun to experiment with fiberglass.  And I'm sure I can find some other projects to use it for.

On a related note, I found a great way to attach fabric to plastic for the base layer without staples.  Got the idea from the upholstered A pillar cover in my car.  PM if interested.

I just applied a layer of fiberglass this evening.  I used 1.5 oz chop strand mat.  When tearing the mat into manageable pieces, I noticed I was able to pull it apart as if it is doubled up on the roll.  Is this common, or was I supposed to leave it like it was?  The thinner layer allowed me to work it better, but it was also messier because the individual strands were separating.  

May i suggest using kitty hair bondo.  It has fiberglass resin mixed in and is strong as hell. I did the fleece, resin, kitty hair and filler. in the end it looked good but performance was lacking because how i went about it.  There is a guy on youtube that builds high end SQ systems and he uses wood, heavy duty pl glue to make 90% of the same with minimal filler.  The he makes a milk shake concoction to pour on the inside for strength and sealing.  Why?  Because he is fucking serious about the performance of the drivers and wouldn't do anything less.  I never knew there was another, better way. And how important it is to seal the drivers.  His work is fucking amazing!  Peter from PSsounds.  He's in the UK and uses nothing but the best equipment and can tune like no other.  In the USA it seems like we throw drivers where ever we think they should go and half as make mounting for that location. 

I have been on SMD for 10 years and i have learned more about SQ from him in a year than the 9 yrs on SMD.  I have learned a lot about wiring, setting gains, power & grounds and sound deadening.  Peter is on a whole another level.

Just my 2 cents, make them as solid you can, and then add some more.  I did 2 RF T26.5" in each panel of my car, but since i was new to customizing panels and didn't make them properly they can't play any lower than 100hz with out rattling and breaking shit.  Definitely a learning   learning experience.

Archived