Sundown Audio

nickgoose

51 minutes ago, nickgoose said:

Thank you for the recommendations! I'm most likely going to lean towards Korean boards. I love Ampere, I think their amps are incredible.. I've read into DC and Crescendo, I know they make quality amps as well. DC is quite expensive though.

Also, I owned the Deaf Bounce Apocalypse AAK-2000 I had it powered to two Sundown SA-8's. It sounded amazing but I did not keep any of them for long because I learned about the ELD function in my car a little too late. But for the short period of time I did own the system, I loved it.

BUT to be totally honest, I'm really curious about Wolfram Audio and how good their amps are. The thing that is confusing the hell out of me is they have two models that are both 5000w one is priced at $900 (AW-5000) the other at $300 (O-5000). The O-5000 is about half the size of the AW. That's a steep price drop and I feel like I am completely missing something. Just like @Dafaseles suggested with the Sundown amp. The model he linked is $470 and other models at the same wattage are going for ~$1500. I've owned a quite a few Sundown amps, they did not disappoint.. that is for damn sure but their prices are out of my range other than the model that was suggested. If anyone could fill me in on why the particular models I mentioned are priced so much lower, that would be great lol.

To add onto what backwoods said...

If if understood what I've read correctly, which it's completely possible I'm wrong, but I guess since the way the full range or full bridge amps use kind of a stereo, full loop signal (I forget the exact term they used for it. But it uses the whole wave ~ instead of just the half of it, or just the first bump, my phone doesn't have a symbol I can use to show it) so the amplifiers can produce "twice" the output power on the same input power. Thus costing the customer less. Some drawbacks are, people say the output sound isn't as clean as a mono block. They say they introduce distortion faster, they can get faint vocals through their subwoofers even when all the crossovers are set correctly, and they run hot. The pros though are the size is considerably smaller, the price is considerably less, and they're supposed to be more efficient. A lot of people say as technology progresses, the full bridge amps are going to take over. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, nickgoose said:

I didn't realize that its $800, that's not a bad price at all. I've been browsing at too many different brands and models. Must've overlooked the price lol. Did anyone do a dyno on it ? I'm assuming it does more than what its rated at 14.4v wired to 1 ohm. But, I also may be wrong lol.

I havent seen any dynos on it. I was leaning for the AAK-4K. Not really sure why. But at the last minute I switched to the Ampere. I will say this though. If you go with the Ampere and like using a bass knob...buy a different bass knob lol. The one with it was a huge let down. I ordered a skyhigh knob. Mainly for when I want to crank my doors and want to leave my bass at an easy listening level. 

5 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

To add onto what backwoods said...

If if understood what I've read correctly, which it's completely possible I'm wrong, but I guess since the way the full range or full bridge amps use kind of a stereo, full loop signal (I forget the exact term they used for it. But it uses the whole wave ~ instead of just the half of it, or just the first bump, my phone doesn't have a symbol I can use to show it) so the amplifiers can produce "twice" the output power on the same input power. Thus costing the customer less. Some drawbacks are, people say the output sound isn't as clean as a mono block. They say they introduce distortion faster, they can get faint vocals through their subwoofers even when all the crossovers are set correctly, and they run hot. The pros though are the size is considerably smaller, the price is considerably less, and they're supposed to be more efficient. A lot of people say as technology progresses, the full bridge amps are going to take over. 

Thanks a lot for explaining! Now that I got a better understanding, I definitely prefer to stick with an amp that has more efficiency all around. Last thing I want is to buy an amp that's cheaper and not like the way it sounds, been there done that (one too many times..lol). I rather not waste time and money, I've done way too much of that over the years with all the systems I've owned unfortunately...

17 minutes ago, Kocyandia said:

I havent seen any dynos on it. I was leaning for the AAK-4K. Not really sure why. But at the last minute I switched to the Ampere. I will say this though. If you go with the Ampere and like using a bass knob...buy a different bass knob lol. The one with it was a huge let down. I ordered a skyhigh knob. Mainly for when I want to crank my doors and want to leave my bass at an easy listening level. 

I'll keep this in mind if I do considering going with Ampere. Thanks for letting me know!

My recommendation would be to just get the Wolfram AW-5000. 

Im not saying its the "best" amp out of that list, though it may very well be..... but it is obvious that you would prefer it, and at $200 or less difference from the other amps, you will likely regret your decision a little at some point if you choose another amp. Better to save up a little longer and get the amp you truly want. 

Singer 250amp Alt, Singer PCM bypass harness

Titan8 Lithium Underhood safe BCI PWR-S5

Big 3 W/ dual runs of power/ground. All 1/0awg OFC

SounDigital EVO 5K amp, Two 15" Fi SSD subs

Next Level Fabrication @ 7 cubes net, tuned to 32HZ 

2 hours ago, Backwoods said:

My recommendation would be to just get the Wolfram AW-5000. 

Im not saying its the "best" amp out of that list, though it may very well be..... but it is obvious that you would prefer it, and at $200 or less difference from the other amps, you will likely regret your decision a little at some point if you choose another amp. Better to save up a little longer and get the amp you truly want. 

I agree 1000%. 

Archived