Second Skin Audio

4th order design help

SNYPER

I have 2 Xv2 12’s running at .5 currently I’m thinking of building a 4th order for them I’ve heard mixed comments “don’t put xv2’s in 4th the roll off in a 4th ect” others saying it slams,

I have a 2016 explore so I have fair amount of room and could pull a 2:1 easily, just need some help on sealed side dimensions and port

i have 40 inches of width and like to be at 18 inches of height I could do a little higher but prefer that height, 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get WinISD if you don't already and put your speaker's specs into it. Play around with the volume of the sealed chamber and the volume/tune of the ported chamber until you like what you see. I think the sealed chamber should be about the same size as recommended for a sealed box, but you can have some variance.

Don't worry about the 4th order peaky peakness. It'll be there, but I think it's not a bad thing. Sealed boxes have a similar peak, but you won't really notice that much by listening to it, you know? Same thing with ported boxes just about anywhere above the port tuning. 6th orders are the only boxes I've seen where I could get an almost perfectly flat response (according to WinISD). Point is, peak is there, but who cares? Probably not you.

I could help you with a design and try my best to tell you what I know but I'd need more info.

What info you looking for?

i wanna day the sealed was 2 cubes but their site has changed and it just says not recommended now, ported is 2.5 I have them in a 2.1’sh center slot ported JoeX helped make few years ago, sounds great still but it’s too small for these Xv2’s

Before you let CFD design you an enclosure. Watch this video he posted 2 weeks ago on YouTube and then check his profile on here and check his previous posts. And them Xv2s t/s parameters aren’t nowhere near ideal for that subwoofer to do well in a 4th order enclosure vs another type of enclosure. The ones who told you it would slam don’t know bandpass enclosures because if they did then the first spec that screams it wouldn’t do well is the qts being .41. That’s the first t/s parameters that has to be looked at and if it doesn’t meant expectations or close to, then the calculating of t/s parameters stops there because it failed the first one, thus them subwoofers aren’t ideal in a 4th order enclosure. However, they would do very well in a series tuned 6th order enclosure with a tad smaller ratio than you wanted on that 4th order enclosure. What kind of amp are you using?

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Point taken... and I wasn’t told I just been researching and reading a lot of different posts and I did read the 6th order pros for these as well. Now question is will the 6th order give that much more performance vs a proper ported box ie worth the slightly more work and space consumption?

and right now I’m running a black ice 7000.1 and really want to get another if not will eventually upgrade to something else,this amp has way surpassed what I’ve ever expected from it

this is the box their in now, they sound great but I know it’s not right for them and can sound better. Page 3 has finished pics

If you have backseats then I would do a regular ported enclosure designed for them subwoofers and amp but have wiggle room to compensate for the future amp upgrade. I don’t like c-pillar (cargo area) 6th order forward blow through enclosures unless there is a lot of rms and way more cone area in the subwoofer setup. I recommend a regular ported enclosure if you have backseats. Subs up, port back. 5.5 cu ft net volume after displacements, around 85sq” of port area tuned to 32hz.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

ok this is what ive come up with, the port L=29 1/4  W=2 1/8  H=16 1/2 per port combined center outlet width of 4 1/4   with addition of corner angle pieces and center port V for airflow. and thickness of material 3/4 birch possibly to cut weight?

2 xv2 d2 12 box.jpg

Archived