Second Skin Audio

2 Massive GTX102 enclosure

Nicc2nastii

So some manufacturers suck at giving box specs and I'm not sure where Massive stands. 

I'm looking at the EBP which is calculated by taking the F(s), or open air resonant frequency of the speaker and dividing it by the Q(es), or the electrical dampening of the speaker. This decides whether a driver is better suited for a sealed or ported box.

EBP = 46.2 / 0.825 = 56 - So the sub in question is heavily favoring a sealed box, but could also be effective in a ported box.

From here, I like going to speakerboxlite.com and putting in the parameters and playing with the box size to fit my car. The port calculations were super weird when I messed with it though, so I just doubled the net box size to reach 2ft^3, and doubled the port size to 14.01in^2. You could have a normal square port (not slot port) that's 7" x 2" or 14" x 1", and 5.83" long. 

Then if you wanted it fully inside of your sub box, you would have to add more area to reach the net volume of 2ft^3 (56.63 liters). The port would take up 71.4in^3 of volume (1.17 liters), leaving out the .75" thickness of the wood. Then you measure sub displacement by figuring out how much room they take up in the box which is really just measuring and I think WinISD has an easy way to do it as it gives you the exact things you have to measure with a ruler or whatnot. So add whatever that is, plus the port displacement, plus the net box size. So 56.63 + 1.17 + sub displacement = 57.8l + sub displacement.

Last step is really to make a box with that gross internal volume stated above by measuring your space you want it to fit in, and make sure it's big enough to mount the subs solidly where you want them on the box.

If you have any further questions, let me know. Or if anyone sees anything they disagree with because they know Massive better than I do, please correct me.

Archived