Sonic Electronix

Help on system voltage without HO Alt

To put it simply, if you get a big lithium or agm, your alternator won’t be able to charge it fast enough. You’ll just have to have trickle charger going to it overnight after you beat on it. I don’t know if there would be any driving penalties as far as not having enough power for spark or anything if your alternator is so heavily taxed. 

18 hours ago, Rpg663 said:

To put it simply, if you get a big lithium or agm, your alternator won’t be able to charge it fast enough. You’ll just have to have trickle charger going to it overnight after you beat on it. I don’t know if there would be any driving penalties as far as not having enough power for spark or anything if your alternator is so heavily taxed. 

Damn so I'm basically stuck with what I got. I figured maybe that would be the case that the alt wouldn't be able to recharge the system fast enough. Sucks there's really no way to run it efficiently. 

I feel like your best bet is talk to a good Porsche mechanic who knows his stuff really well and ask if it's the CPU maybe over regulating the charging system and if there's a way to bypass it. Also, ask if there's anyway to rebuild the alternator to maybe get a little more juice, and if changing the battery to maybe a lithium won't confuse the car and limit the performance. Another thing, maybe try to contact Limitless or XS about their lithium batteries to see if 190 amps (or if you can rebuild the alternator, whatever the amps at idle would be) would be sufficient to charge the battery without damaging the battery. 

The way lithium discharges quickly could help in the voltage drop, but it also has to be able to charge quickly or it will damage the battery. From what I've read, if a lithium drops below 12v, it could really damage the output if the battery. 

1 more, far out suggestion I can think of that I'm sure wouldn't be cheap at all, maybe run 2 alternators. I don't know what the engine bay looks like under the hood, if you would have room or if it would even be possible. 

I don't feel like the main issue is the electrical not being sufficient, but the car itself preventing you from upgrading the electrical to the point you need. Step 1 would be taking to someone who knows every aspect of that car and how the electrical even works. 

Car companies seem to be making it harder and harder to install aftermarket stereos. It sucks! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived