Sonic Electronix

Finally got my Supercapacitor installed 👍

And it did everything  I hoped it would !

I can litterally pound my system full tilt for 20+ minutes, and it will not drop more than .2 tenths, and even then, between loud bass passages, or between sings, it will jump right back up those .1 or .2 tenths 🙂

Now granted, on a hot day, my truck might only charge to 14.2... or even 13.9, with or without the stereo playing. Just saying, my 3Kwt system is hardly having zero effect on my voltage now. 

Oh, and my dynamic range was greatly increased too, especially noticeable with kick drums. Even just dB's in general seem like they gained a couple...

Super happy with my Supercapacitor 🙂 

I still say, screw extra batteries.... Or lithium, or titanate or whatever. More stronger alternators, and more Supercapacitors 😉👍

Edit: 

Hey btw, Id been wanting to say something here, that might be a little awkward..... On the one hand, I don't want to sound like I'm bashing..... but also, not that I'm kissing ass either :) lol

Alright so, for a LONG time, SMD has been my car audio idol ! I've had a couple demos in his Tahoe (way back), and I follow all of his vids. Plus he's just a really good, no BS kind of guy. Now, that said, of course I watched his vid on supercapacitors, and its JMPO, but I think that was not really the way that should have been done. Steve "replaced" 4 of his batts, with battery form super capacitors..... But wait, I never really thought super capacitors were meant to "replace" a battery (well maybe, with whole different kind of setup, but that's another story), but rather, to be used in conjunction with them. I understand that it might have been a space issue, but Id have sure rather seen all things with his system stay exactly the same... nothing removed, and then, the "addition" of the supercapacitors. In fact, I don't know if he left the super caps in the Tahoe, or took them out, but he could always do a test of just adding the super caps, on top of all the batts now..... even if the caps were not mounted permanently. Id love to see that.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 8:48 AM, Fish Chris said:

And it did everything  I hoped it would !

I can litterally pound my system full tilt for 20+ minutes, and it will not drop more than .2 tenths, and even then, between loud bass passages, or between sings, it will jump right back up those .1 or .2 tenths 🙂

Now granted, on a hot day, my truck might only charge to 14.2... or even 13.9, with or without the stereo playing. Just saying, my 3Kwt system is hardly having zero effect on my voltage now. 

Oh, and my dynamic range was greatly increased too, especially noticeable with kick drums. Even just dB's in general seem like they gained a couple...

Super happy with my Supercapacitor 🙂 

I still say, screw extra batteries.... Or lithium, or titanate or whatever. More stronger alternators, and more Supercapacitors 😉👍

Edit: 

Hey btw, Id been wanting to say something here, that might be a little awkward..... On the one hand, I don't want to sound like I'm bashing..... but also, not that I'm kissing ass either :) lol

Alright so, for a LONG time, SMD has been my car audio idol ! I've had a couple demos in his Tahoe (way back), and I follow all of his vids. Plus he's just a really good, no BS kind of guy. Now, that said, of course I watched his vid on supercapacitors, and its JMPO, but I think that was not really the way that should have been done. Steve "replaced" 4 of his batts, with battery form super capacitors..... But wait, I never really thought super capacitors were meant to "replace" a battery (well maybe, with whole different kind of setup, but that's another story), but rather, to be used in conjunction with them. I understand that it might have been a space issue, but Id have sure rather seen all things with his system stay exactly the same... nothing removed, and then, the "addition" of the supercapacitors. In fact, I don't know if he left the super caps in the Tahoe, or took them out, but he could always do a test of just adding the super caps, on top of all the batts now..... even if the caps were not mounted permanently. Id love to see that.

Where the pics at??

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

5 hours ago, Fish Chris said:

It's on the bottom right. Tucks in perfectly. Can't go anywhere. I don't think it would move in a freaking rollover !

PXL_20201113_182656965.jpg

I’m gonna have to read up on how these are better than lithium!

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

On 11/24/2020 at 5:50 PM, JakeW said:

I’m gonna have to read up on how these are better than lithium!

Lithiums are just a battery. Granted, they are really good batteries, with a high power to weight ratio, but still they are just a battery.

Supercapacitor are "almost" not a battery at all. Mine only holds 8 amp hours. But it can release those amps hundreds of times faster than a lead acid, or AGM battery. And although lithium is faster than these, it's still not even close to a super capacitor. 

Super capacitors are (generally) not intended to replace batteries, but rather, to work in conjunction with them, each covering the others weaknesses.

9 minutes ago, Fish Chris said:

Lithiums are just a battery. Granted, they are really good batteries, with a high power to weight ratio, but still they are just a battery.

Supercapacitor are "almost" not a battery at all. Mine only holds 8 amp hours. But it can release those amps hundreds of times faster than a lead acid, or AGM battery. And although lithium is faster than these, it's still not even close to a super capacitor. 

Super capacitors are (generally) not intended to replace batteries, but rather, to work in conjunction with them, each covering the others weaknesses.

So is that placed between the battery and amp? Or before the aux battery?

28 minutes ago, Fish Chris said:

Can you mix lithium and super caps? I've been looking at some. Or.... are ying longs super caps? Probably a dumb question. But something like 140ah for a little over a G. And if they charge and release faster, damn! 😳 I've been looking for information, but I'm not very internet savvy

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

On 11/30/2020 at 8:25 PM, Dafaseles said:

Can you mix lithium and super caps? I've been looking at some. Or.... are ying longs super caps? Probably a dumb question. But something like 140ah for a little over a G. And if they charge and release faster, damn! 😳 I've been looking for information, but I'm not very internet savvy

So far as I know, yes. Lithiums are kind of wimpy sometimes though, on how much juice you can shove into them (max charging rate). Something to think about if you have a big, strong aftermarket alternator, or multiple alternators.

1 hour ago, Fish Chris said:

So far as I know, yes. Lithiums are kind of wimpy sometimes though, on how much juice you can shove into them (max charging rate). Something to think about if you have a big, strong aftermarket alternator, or multiple alternators.

I've wondered about that whole "available charging" and what that meant really. I messaged limitless and never got a reply. I got my cyber 12k and a 370 amp mechman. I hope they play nice together. I was also thinking, if I need more, using a super cap bank along with the 12k. I'm still trying to find all the info I can👍

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived