Second Skin Audio

Plz help on box design

jessdabest77

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/31/2020 at 11:30 PM, jessdabest77 said:

Thanks dude, I do really appreciate it. Once I have the best design that'll get me loud and play the lows, I'll start my build and post pictures on here of it so hopefully if someone else has a truck like mine's it can help them to. 

Excited to see your build! Supercab here with a single ported 12. Best of luck! 

Been really busy with stuff lately. Got this design pretty much done. Haven't mathed out the volume and tuning after adding the bracing. Before sub displacement I know it's something like 7-8 cu. ft. total and something like 27-30Hz tuning. 5x15.5 inch port 29.75 inch long. Double baffle. Made to your max external dimensions. Guaranteed to make you wonder if you've transcended into the bass universe... or something.

Braced in a non-conventional way because I think it'll work.

Has a cool lil port wedge thing.

???

LMK if you want cut sheets and stuff. I know right now this design will make a lot of gal' dern bass and boomin', but I don't want to do more math right now.

s10boxmk22.png

s10boxmk2.png

13 hours ago, jessdabest77 said:

I really like this design, thank you for your help. I was just wondering why subs and port up. What is the difference between subs forward port up. Just curious but going with design. 

You said there was a bit of extra room to be had if it was subs up and I think that little bit of extra air volume inside the box will help you get the loud and low type of sound you're looking for. Also, if I put the subs forward, then they'd be firing directly into the back of your seats and I'm not so sure that would be good for SPL to have a big foam and cloth thing soaking up your sound waves. I was thinking about a design where the subs would go up, and then the port would go forward between the seats where I'd assume there's a center console in your truck. That would have freed up a bit of air volume at the expense of your center console. Having the little bit of extra room also makes it so I can make the port a bit bigger which will help out with efficiency and also reduce port noise.

I don't know the exact sciences of all of this so I can't exactly tell you why subs up, port up is better. I can give you a bit of my opinion on it, though. The port aligns the sound waves of the back of the subwoofers with the waves from the front so having the port forward and subs up would direct some of the sound forward, and a lot of it up. It might end up canceling out some of it's sound as sound waves from the port and from the cones collide with each other. I've heard that having the port opening on the same face/panel as the subwoofer is the best way to do it and I think this is why.

Honest, not 100% sure which way would be best. In a wagon, I tried subwoofers up, back, and forward and noticed not much difference. Up was my favorite there, though.

So, I guess my answer basically boils down to having the port and subs firing up gives the sound the least obstructions on its path from the speakers and port to the cabin environment and to you plus having the port and subwoofers on the same side seems to be the best place to have the port.

I think I understand that you're not going for numbers, but instead listening to it? Having a subwoofer on the left and right, then port middle should fill the entire cabin with sound more equally. Sometimes people place their subs and ports specifically to get the highest SPL in the kick or the windshield but that's not what I was aiming for.

Archived