Sundown Audio

Wiring for mid range

Jeremy009

Is it a single channel amp? I mean, technically the amp will do whatever you want it to as long as you're not pushing it beyond it's operating limits. I don't know how that's going to sound though

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

10 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Is it a single channel amp? I mean, technically the amp will do whatever you want it to as long as you're not pushing it beyond it's operating limits. I don't know how that's going to sound though

Yea.. I got 2 8s b&c 8ohm in my doors and I want 2 10s b&c also. All will be 8ohm. Am wondering if I could use like a sundown sfb 1500.1 to run it all. The final ohm load should be 2 ohm. But the 8s are rated 200rms and the 10s 350rms

The rms of the speakers really doesn't matter to the amp. The speakers are going to get what they get depending on the impedance. The wattage each speaker will see will be whatever the amp it's putting out at 2 ohm divided by 4 basically. I know it's full range amp, and I don't know everything, but it's still a mono amp isn't it? The speakers won't be seeing stereo sound. I could be wrong though.

I assume you're just talking about the size difference? In regards to that, if I've understood what I've read correctly, those speakers being on the same channel with the same crossover points, at certain frequencies, the speakers will be 180 degrees out of phase and you'll get a huge dip in your frequency response fir those frequencies. The speakers being 180 degrees out of phase will basically cancel each other's sound drastically. That's why 2 way component speaker systems and 3 way component systems all have different crossover points that don't overlap each other much if at all

10 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I assume you're just talking about the size difference? In regards to that, if I've understood what I've read correctly, those speakers being on the same channel with the same crossover points, at certain frequencies, the speakers will be 180 degrees out of phase and you'll get a huge dip in your frequency response fir those frequencies. The speakers being 180 degrees out of phase will basically cancel each other's sound drastically. That's why 2 way component speaker systems and 3 way component systems all have different crossover points that don't overlap each other much if at all

Ohhh...I understand.  I guess I'll just add 2 more of the same 8s instead of the 10s

28 minutes ago, MrSkippyJ said:

Generally curious here, why would speakers of different size be out of phase wired to the same channel? 

I could be miss interpreting what I've read and seen, but I guess just because different size cones move different with different size voice coils and different resistance soft parts, though I see why it wouldn't considering hz is measured by cycles per second, no matter the size of the speaker. When I get time on my lunch break, I'm going to look deeper into this. 

So, looking more into it, I got my thoughts mixed up a little...I was thinking more in terms of a slope rather than response and upon further research, I don't think that's the way to look at it properly. 

What I've come up with is no, I was wrong, it's not a phase issue, it's more of a blending issue. With 2 different size drivers on the same crossover, reproducing the same frequencies at the same time, you run the risk of hearing very unpredictable peaks, valleys and dips in the sound reproduction, with it being very hard or impossible to fix because you can't adjust the different size speakers separately, being on the same channel. The SPL rating and the frequency response in the t/s parameters tells us this for different speakers. 

Sorry for explaining it wrong in previous posts. I should have looked into it more before answering but, human nature, sometimes when you swear you're right about something, you don't bother looking into it. 

Long story short, what I've seen in looking into this further, is it's not impossible, just highly not recommended for sound quality reasons.

Please, if anyone had more insight into this, I personally would love to read it for future knowledge. 

I hope this helps

Archived