Weird box shape build

So im wanting to build a box that sits between the seats in my transit 250. The e brake is there so im wondering if I can build a leg sort of, and then widen the box once above the e brake. Does the shape matter? It would box with a smaller portion on the box towards the bottom. Would this be ok or should i separate the lower section? Id like to use it for more airspace if i can.

This is a rough shape with my keyboard lol. Speaker on top by rhe way.

|___              _|

|_________|

Got all the measurements planned out with the right air space I need. It will be sealed with a 12" 1000w sms sub and a 2000w monoblock amp.

Main question is, will the oddly shaped box work or is it going to sound worse than a squared box with something underneath to raise above that ebrake

1 hour ago, Cec said:

So im wanting to build a box that sits between the seats in my transit 250. The e brake is there so im wondering if I can build a leg sort of, and then ............

I think it'd be fine. Definitely better than an under sized box.

Look at some of the under rear seat truck boxes. There's some that are all sorts of weirdly shaped and they seem to work fine, not that I've had one. Some people might concern their selves with sound/wave reflections inside the box and how they're influenced by the shape of the box, but next to nobody would ever notice a difference in sound between that box and a rectangular box of the same volume. So, I think the shape does matter, but air space matters more. You could kill some of those reflections inside the box with things like poly-fil around the inside too, and that would tune your box a bit lower as if it had a bigger volume/air space (not that you need that, but it would.)

I'd go ahead and build it if I were you.

I think the rough design you made could be done and sound very similar to a "more square" box.

I'd add something like recycled denim insulation to the back of the box(inside) to attenuate the backwave so it's not fighting itself if the mounting depth is tight.

Just make sure the pole vent can breathe. 

My setup is something similar (shallow mount), it sounds better with some denim insulation behind the sub, it plays lower too. 

2 hours ago, MG88 said:

I think the rough design you made could be done and sound very similar to a "more square" box.

I'd add something like recycled denim insulation to the back of the box(inside) to attenuate the backwave so it's not fighting itself if the mounting depth is tight.

Just make sure the pole vent can breathe. 

My setup is something similar (shallow mount), it sounds better with some denim insulation behind the sub, it plays lower too. 

I actually have it in a ported box right now that sits in the back against the door. It sounds good and rumbles, but would sound much better up in the cab with me like my old van had it. This new van has a cargo cage with no door, just little air holes. Working like a sub box in a trunk sort of. Also the idea of it being a sealed box would make it feel much stronger.... Between the seats.

Also since its a work van, ive had my sub inverted, to avoid any damage to it. So far so great, but my old van I had it up firing and sounded better in the cab. So I'll probably fill the bottom section with poly fill, and that should give me good air space without having the box go above the seats.

This is a full size cargo van with shelving on both sides, alot of air space for a sub to be 12 feet behind me, and still sounds great, just thinking it would sound better in the cab and I can have it up firing without damage from tools and such flying around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 6:30 PM, Cec said:

I actually have it in a ported box right now that sits in the back against the door. It sounds good and rumbles, but would sound much better up in the cab with me like my old van had it. This new van has a cargo cage with no door, just little air holes. Working like a sub box in a trunk sort of. Also the idea of it being a sealed box would make it feel much stronger.... Between the seats.

Also since its a work van, ive had my sub inverted, to avoid any damage to it. So far so great, but my old van I had it up firing and sounded better in the cab. So I'll probably fill the bottom section with poly fill, and that should give me good air space without having the box go above the seats.

This is a full size cargo van with shelving on both sides, alot of air space for a sub to be 12 feet behind me, and still sounds great, just thinking it would sound better in the cab and I can have it up firing without damage from tools and such flying around.

If you run the sub inverted right next to you then you might notice motor noise and pole piece vent noise and stuff like that which isn't so great. Running a cover over the sub would stop little things from damaging it, wrecking the surround, etc.

Archived