hello all, 

car audio newbie here looking for some advice. So im looking for a good quality amp, but all the specs confuse me lots. I need an amp for my mids and highs. I uderstand AB class amps are better in this case but it looks like the market is mostly selling class D amps. I found an amp by hertz MLPOWER4. what do you guys think about this amp? I know its powerful but thats what im looking for as i want to switch to an active setup next summer.

How important is the S/N ratio, as hertz specs say 100dB but CEA rating says 80dB. Also hertz says 150rms x 4 but CEA rating says 120x4. Why would those values be so different? 

heres a link for the amp

https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/HERTZ_Mille-POWER_MLPower4_Tech_Sheet1.1.pdf

any other amps you guys can recommend? sorry so many questions i just dont wanna buy an amp ill regret later

Don’t waste your money on that amp. You don’t need a class AB amp on speakers or tweeters. A class D would work just fine. Class D amps are more efficient and cheaper too. Most people now are using class D amps on mids and highs. Class AB amps get hotter than class D amps because it isn’t as efficient. That wasted energy, referring to efficiency, turns into heat.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

That amp is way overpriced and is overrated. Meaning, the sound quality specs are not worth it, damping factor or signal to noise ratio, and it doesn’t do rated rms. I could find a class D amp that does the same rms and better signal to noise specs and damping factor specs for way cheaper and the amps are way better.

http://www.ampereaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers/aa-150-4

http://store.crescendoaudio.com/symphony-s4-4-channel-amplifier/

23 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

That amp is way overpriced and is overrated. Meaning, the sound quality specs are not worth it, damping factor or signal to noise ratio, and it doesn’t do rated rms. I could find a class D amp that does the same rms and better signal to noise specs and damping factor specs for way cheaper and the amps are way better.

im from canada and it looks like it would be difficult to get those here, i might have to shop around for some other ones. when looking for an amp whats a decent S/N ratio and damping factor? 

most of the big brands like Kenwood, Alpine, JL, Rockford fosgate, Zapco, Skar, Hertz, Pioneer, Sundown, American Bass, 

but i actually am going to the states in december so i could have something shipped to my friends house. Im looking for 150w rms x4 @4ohm. I basically wanna buy an amp that will give me lots of space to uprade my system in the future if i choose to do so. 

what do you think of this one

https://www.zapco.com/st-204d-sq

Then them amps I posted links on are good to choose from. Both amps do 150 rms or a tad more at 4 ohms at 14.4v. Those rating in that crescendo amp are rated at 13.8v so it would do a tad more than 150 rms or equivalent to 150 rms at 14.4v.

47 minutes ago, Lord Blake said:

Call DD Audio. Their phone number is listed on each of them links. I know that the second link is a class AB amp and idk about the other one. Those amps are good amps. But, them amps are overpriced when it comes to the specs verses the price ratio. You don’t have to pay for a mainstream name brand to get good sound quality.

When it comes to sound quality, it’s more important to focus on your driver setup and crossover setup. Focus on the correct placements and sizing in reference to mid bass, mid range and highs and the cabin area. Focus on the correct delay. Focus on the correct specs and parameters of the drivers. Focus on the crossover points and make sure the mesh well and there isn’t any blank spots in a frequency sweep. The amp is the last thing to worry about when it comes to a sound quality setup. It is important, but isn’t the first thing to worry about.

Archived