Second Skin Audio

Alpine Type-R Enclosure build, need help

DAN831111

I'm about to build a ported enclosure for my single Alpine SWR-1242D Type-R 12 to go into the cargo area in my 2007 Rav4. I am running it off an Alpine MRV-500 at 2 ohms. Im thinking to go with 2.0 cu ft box as opposed to the suggested 1.7 cu ft to give it a bit more of a deep, low sound, am I right in thinking this? and should I step it up to say 2.2 or 2.5 for an even better sound?

I have it in a 1.5 cu ft 'pre-fab' box atm which I thought might have been good enough to get me through but it wasnt as there was/is terrible port noise. It had about a 12 inch long 4 inch aero port on it with an elbow in the middle with no flare, there was a terrible cracking noise when bass was hitting hard and you could tell that elbow was making it alot harder for the air to come out so I tried it without the bend and still this cracking noise but air flow had improved alot. So I cut the elbow so I could make a flare out of it that leans only slightly towards the sub as I had to cos the port is right up against the side of the box, not much room for a flare. Anyway so it fixed that cracking noise, completely! Problem is that it still makes some terrible air velocity noises/ port noise and high volume, it seems as though the air really struggles to get out that single 4inch port when you go right up to it and look/ listen, which is only about 9 inches long now btw.

So I realize I will have to make my own box and I am really set on an aero port enclosure but will a single 4" port always struggle with my sub and make terrible port noise and should I go with 2 x 3" ports instead or is it because of size/ design of my 'pre-fab' box? Wouldnt I get a deeper/ smoother sound out of a single 4" port vs 2 x 3" ports or would the alpine push too much air for that to be a problem? I like the sub to face me in the driver seat so I feel it in my chest so which way should the ports fire? Do they have flare inside near the back of the sub or could I have them firing towards the cargo door? Would this sound better? Maybe firing to the side?

Ok so I am reading that "Best acoustic coupling is accomplished when the port(s) are installed on the same side as the woofer" But Im still wondering  about box size an number of ports, also would i need a baffle or is 3/4 inch thick MDF fine for this sub?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Archived