Grounding question

I've been stressing out about the grounding of my system. I just want to make sure it's done right. 

I've been reading a lot about people grounding to the alternator bracket and this being the best way to ground because you're grounding straight to the source. Now, that's easy to envision if you have a battery up front, but mine will only have 1 battery in the back (Limitless Cyber 12k) and no battery upfront. Do I run a ground up to the alternator bracket? That'll end up being like 15'. 

Anyone have any thoughts/ experience/ knowledge on this? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

17 minutes ago, will77530 said:

Just ground to the battery and be done with it

You want him to ground the rear lithium battery back to the lithium battery?

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

47 minutes ago, will77530 said:

Just ground to the battery and be done with it

Ground 4 1/0 runs and 3 4 awg runs straight to the battery? 2 Sundown Salt 4's, 1 880×4 and 2 400×4's. Soon to be 4 Salt 4's, 2 880×4's and 2 400×4's. That'll make it 8 1/0 runs and 4 4 awg runs to ground along with 2 Cyber 12k's.

I'll bump this one time, hoping someone can give me some insight on this. 

I'm pretty sure the way I've planned on grounding things will be fine, it's just if there's a better way, even if it's a little overkill, I'm down. 

20 minutes ago, JakeW said:

Tell us your plan! 

Well, starting with the 1 Cyber 12k, 2 Salt 4's, the 880.4 and the 2 400.4's... that'll be 6 1/0 cables and 3 4 awg cables going into a solid distribution block. Then coming out I was thinking if doing 4 runs of 4/0 knukoncepts Kolossus Kable to a quarter inch thick plate welded onto my frame. I'll check everything and if I need to bump it up to 5 runs, I will. 

I just wanted to know if maybe there was a better/ smarter way to do it. I've read about grounding to the alternator bracket and wondered if I should send a run or 2 of 1/0 back to that and maybe use 3 runs of the 4/0 or......I don't know.......

8 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Well, starting with the 1 Cyber 12k, 2 Salt 4's, the 880.4 and the 2 400.4's... that'll be 6 1/0 cables and 3 4 awg cables going into a solid distribution block. Then coming out I was thinking if doing 4 runs of 4/0 knukoncepts Kolossus Kable to a quarter inch thick plate welded onto my frame. I'll check everything and if I need to bump it up to 5 runs, I will. 

I just wanted to know if maybe there was a better/ smarter way to do it. I've read about grounding to the alternator bracket and wondered if I should send a run or 2 of 1/0 back to that and maybe use 3 runs of the 4/0 or......I don't know.......

So whatever Steve does, must work. He went to the frame but just tapped it, no plate necessary?

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

3 hours ago, JakeW said:

So whatever Steve does, must work. He went to the frame but just tapped it, no plate necessary?

I just figured it would be easier to put holes in a plate then weld it to the frame wherever I needed it instead of finding a spot on the frame. I don't even know what it looks like down there yet though. Thing is, the way I want to put my amps, my grounds aren't going to be less than 18" long. I've always been told not to exceed that length. I'm just trying to get all the information I can about grounding so I can make sure it's done right the first time

10 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I just figured it would be easier to put holes in a plate then weld it to the frame wherever I needed it instead of finding a spot on the frame. I don't even know what it looks like down there yet though. Thing is, the way I want to put my amps, my grounds aren't going to be less than 18" long. I've always been told not to exceed that length. I'm just trying to get all the information I can about grounding so I can make sure it's done right the first time

Ahhh I gotcha. I can’t even imagine where I’d even mount all that equipment, let alone ground it!

Archived