Grounding question

I want to know the answer to this too from someone who has more experience.

Cars have a lot of grounds. Where does the ground cable on your factory located battery go? Does it go to the chassis/frame? Does it also have a ground cable to the cab from the battery? It will probably have one from the engine to chassis as well. You may want to upgrade some other (the factory ones) ground cables on your truck if you ground to your cab/upgraded your alternator/running a lot of power. 

Getting the electrical in a car I think can be tricky.

You could also run a ground cable off the negative terminal in your cabin battery all the way to your factory located battery AND to the cab of your truck. Then it'd be, like, double grounded and you would know that the ground for your amp is good too even if it's located somewhere else on the cab since the cab is grounded to the cab battery directly and to the factory battery.

Steel isn't the best conductor of electricity. I think using the chassis as ground is only good up until a certain point. Not sure where that point is to be frank.

I'm just spit balling here. Don't follow my advice on this one lol never done what you're doing here.

Looking forward to what everyone else thinks.

• 1 month later...

The thick bolt that holds down seats is normally a good spot to start.

Or you can drill a hole/find existing grommet and run the negative to the frame rail. Full length frame rails are great ground locations, uni-body not so much. True, steel does not conduct as well as copper, but the frame is a thickkk boi making up from the difference in conductivity with its mass. Running ground all the way to front battery just cost more in copper.

Archived