Component 6.5" Recommendations $200-$300

Bdsankey

I am looking to upgrade my crew cab pickup and am going to concentrate on the front stage (rears will be powered off the deck and only turned on if needed for people in the back seat). I will be running them likely in active. This is in a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD. 

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS
Front stage amp: Audio Control D-4.800
Subs: 4x Savard Hi-Q 6.5" D4
Sub Amp: Audio Control LC-1.1500

Wiring will all be OFC with 2x 240a alternators with the big 3 upgrade done

I will be adding sound deadening to the doors, roof, back wall, floor, firewall, and inside the dash while it's apart. 

I have in my Silverado now the Memphis Audio VIV 6.5 component sets and I love the way they sound, but they're expensive at around $559... I haven't heard them in person myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about the B2 Audio Rage 6.1 set. That's about $300

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

9 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I have in my Silverado now the Memphis Audio VIV 6.5 component sets and I love the way they sound, but they're expensive at around $559... I haven't heard them in person myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about the B2 Audio Rage 6.1 set. That's about $300

I’ll look into them. I’ve heard good things about them as well. 

19 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I wonder how well their rage 6.3 sounds? Found these awesome mounts that would make it easier and I’d imagine sound better. 

https://www.customspeakerpods.com/product-page/a-pillar-speaker-pods-for-3-5-and-tweeter-00-06-GMFST

22 minutes ago, Bdsankey said:

I wonder how well their rage 6.3 sounds? Found these awesome mounts that would make it easier and I’d imagine sound better. 

https://www.customspeakerpods.com/product-page/a-pillar-speaker-pods-for-3-5-and-tweeter-00-06-GMFST

I would think a three way setup would definitely sound better than a two way setup. Speakers specifically designed to hit specific ranges in a three way setup, if you could swing that, that's the way I would go. And like I said, I haven't heard anyone complain about the sound quality or the equipment quality of B2. I haven't personally had the chance to hear them myself, but from what I've been seeing, I would definitely give them a chance if I was in the market for a component setup

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

8 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I would think a three way setup would definitely sound better than a two way setup. Speakers specifically designed to hit specific ranges in a three way setup, if you could swing that, that's the way I would go. And like I said, I haven't heard anyone complain about the sound quality or the equipment quality of B2. I haven't personally had the chance to hear them myself, but from what I've been seeing, I would definitely give them a chance if I was in the market for a component setup

10-4, I think I may go that route. Those mounts are large but would make any system sound much better. The only other option I’m looking at is a standard 2 way set and finding OEM pillars with tweeter mounts and running it that way for a more OEM look. 

I feel the 4x 6.5” woofers behind the rear seat will respond quickly enough to make up for any lack of bass from the front driver. 

• 5 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 10:29 AM, Bdsankey said:

Those A-Pilar pods look pretty cool and +1 on 3-ways sounding better than 2-ways, but you would need 2 additional channels of amplification if you went that route.  If you haven't already bought the D-4.800, AudioContrl has the D-6.1200.  If you have, they their ACM line you could use to add on the extra 2 channels.  The only downside there is it would be harder to tune them as they don't have the on-board DSP.  If you used those A-Pilar pods, you might be able to get away with driving the 3" driver and the tweet of the same channel, they would be close enough to each other that time alignment would probably work ok, but you would have to rely on passive x-overs so you wouldn't have as much flexibility when tuning everything.

I have heard the B2 REF 63 Mani 3-ways and they sounded REALLY good, but they are expensive.  I've not heard the Rage 6.3s but like Dafaseles said, others on the forum have had good experiences.

If you go the 2-way route, I have owned a few pairs of the Polk Audio MM 6502s and I really liked the way they sounded.  The tweeters can get a little harsh to my ears at really high listening levels, but in an active setup that can be tuned to your liking.

I'm also a BIG fan of the Morel Maximo Ultra drivers.  They have a 2-way setup under $300 and a 3-way for around $450.  Their Tempo Ultras sound really good as well, but they start to get pretty pricey.

Archived