Setting max volume from head unit question

Finding my max volume level  from my oem head unit through my Alpine DSP that goes to my two amps is stumping me. 

My head unit goes from 0-16 on the dial. When I use my DD-1 on my 4 channel amp using the 0db 100Khz track, I clip at 11 on the volume knob. But, when I use the 40hz track for my 2ch sub amp, I clip at 14 on the volume knob.

Where do I leave my volume knob when setting my amp gains? ....... Do I leave max volume at 11 for setting both amp gains or do I set the amps using the 2 different max volume levels I get when reading the head unit through those amps?  One amp clips at 11 and one amp clips at 14. What do you do?

Also, when setting gains, should I go with the -5db tone on the 4channel and use the -10db tone for the sub amp..or.. Go with -5db tones for both? I listen to 70’s and 80’s classic rock and just want that clean, crisp and loud full range sound. 

Equipment:

Alpine PXA-H800 DSP

Kicker SX900.4 (4ch)

Kicker SX900.2 (2ch)

(2 sets) Morel Hybrid 6 3/4” Comps

(2) Infinity Kappa1000W Subs Sealed

Thanks in advance! 

I don't know much about the DB Levels when setting the gain (second question asked) but as far as the volume level, here is my opinion.  I would set both amps for the lowest clipping level you can detect.  In other words, setting both amps at the 11 volume level.  This way, no matter what the case is, you know for certain you aren't clipping.  Or, if you are comfortable with it, then you can set your volume to 11 and set your 4chan amp.  Then go up to 14, and set your sub amp.  Now, leaving the volume at 14, go to your bass knob on the 4chan amp, and slowly dial it back until the clipping goes away.  Now mark this spot on your knob for the 4chan amp.  Now you have max available power going to your subwoofer, but know where to pull back on your 4chan knob so that its not sending a clipping signal to it.  This is the option I would go with.  At the end of the day, there probably isn't MUCH of a power difference from 11 to 14.  You would also be sending that power 4 ways, to all the speakers on that 4chan amp.  My feeling would be that the volume you gain in your subwoofer by setting the gain while at 14 would greatly outweigh any damage that may come from clipping your components.  As with everything, its only okay in moderation.  So you would need to pay attention when controlling the components.  Because while the volume gain would outweigh the risk, if you just ignore the risk, and continuously play the  4chan while clipping, then you will smoke them MF's.

I hope all this makes sense.  I'm a bit intoxicated at the moment, and typing comes easy right now.

mivtCK.png

Archived