Double Check my setup

Kindof still new to all of this but catching on quickly..... I hope.... but would feel better if someone could double check my setup for me.

3 Parallel Class D amps.... 1000/1000/600 max watts @ 1,120 RMS total (4 speakers and 2 subs).... I figure it draws 108 Amps and have a 110 Amp Alternator. 

Power Cable is 4 AWG distributed to 8 AWG wire for each amp (that’s the manufacture recommendation) with a 125 Amp fuse at the battery.

So just wanted to double check my math on everything before I hook it up..... anything wrong or need to be changed?

Me personally, I would up the 4 awg to 1/0 and make sure it's some good OFC cable. It should work though, you might be cutting it close though. Wouldn't hurt just to hook it up, you have a fuse, so if it's too much, the fuse should blow before it hurts your equipment. 

It's hard to tell not knowing what amps exactly. Max output is way different than rms output

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Think your right about the larger wire because it’s right at the edge of what the 4 can handle, just needed more experienced eyes on it.

Yeah I’ll have the 125 fuse at the battery and each amp has an onboard 50/50/25 amp fuses. What’s your thoughts on the draw from the alternator/battery? I highly doubt that I’ll ever run it to above halfway on volume.

First, I don't believe you'll never go above half volume. You will turn it up, we all do, why spend money not to use the equipment. So, even if you really do never go above half, plan for full tilt, maximum draw. Then you'll never have a problem. 

What are you running as far as electrical? Big 3 done? Multiple batteries? What kind if batteries? What amplifiers are you using? 120 amp alternator is a little on the small side. You might end up overworking it and it prematurely failing. It doesn't sound like you're running that big of a system, so I would at least look into getting your alternator rebuilt by a reputable shop to put out more amperage. Though, depending on what amplifiers and at what ohms you're running your subs at, it might be fine 

Well yeah your not wrong but I’ve noticed my general listening is around half lol.

Just a stock battery with no extras. Have 2 amps running currently and 1 sub but I’m looking at adding the extra 1000 amp and another sub.

Big 3 are done as far as my grounding wires.

They are “Dual Class D” amps..... I know there are better brands but started out just wanting something better than factory and added to it instead of “wasting money” I had already spent on amps.

The front speakers will be on 600 watt amp @ 80 rms each. The rear are on a 1000 watt amp @ 250 rms each. Then 2 subs on 1000 watt amp @ 250 rms each. All the speakers and amps are 4 ohms.

Checked the alternator while running my current system and even above half it’s not causing any dips or having to overwork and meter is steady on the power coming into the distribution block.

Hey, I'm not knocking any body for adding music, no matter what brand. Start cheap, if you catch the bug, upgrade to better equipment. We can help you with that too. 

So you upgraded your grounding wires, did you upgrade the wire from your alternator to your battery positive? That's a big one if you haven't. Your stock electric should be able to handle it, though if you're thinking if adding another amp, I'd get a high AH battery at least. If you upgrade to actual 1000 watt amps, that's when you get into high output alternators and multiple batteries. That's my opinion on it anyway

• 3 weeks later...

did some math and your are looking at 250 x 4 (2 subs, 2 rear fill) + 80 x 2 (2 front highs) = 1160 watt rms.

amps are at least 60% efficient (likely more at 4 ohm) 1160/.6 = 1933 watts draw from battery/amp.

13.8v charging 1933/13.8 = 140 amp draw

it would be a good idea to upgrade to 1/0 main power cable. plus three 8 gauge is more than one 4 gauge wire in cmils.

Archived