v2 100.4ab crossover, lpf, hpf setup

Hey guys. I've installed many subs, amps, speakers and head units but never a 4 channel Amp and to speakers at that. I plan to tune with my oscilloscope, but at what frequency? Also, do I set HPF, LPF, SUBSONIC, crossover in head units or on Amp, and to what setting? My front coaxial have a passive crossover. I'm going to be running my fronts coaxial unless there's a better way to do this on a 4 channel Amp with 4 speakers and two tweeters? Here's my speakers

https://powerbassusa.com/products/mobile-audio/2xl-63c-65-system/

https://powerbassusa.com/products/mobile-audio/2xl-693-6x9-full-range/

What is you subwoofer amp filters set to an what is your enclosure tuned and net volume of that enclosure and port volume. I need to know subwoofer enclosure specs to determine a rough estimate on your subwoofers capable bandwidth. Once I figure that out, I can help you set the filters on both your amps.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Not ported. Mmats m1400.1 Amp and mmats 12" procast x2. It's a sealed enclosure built to whatever the subs require. I've got it tuned at 50hz I think -5db.

My other question is, I tuned my subs at 27/50 or whatever my head unit goes up to because that's where my speakers distorted (to my ears anyways). How do I set the highs/mids now? And will I need to retune my subs? I like them to hit a hard as they can but I assume if I set the subs to hit their max at say 15, I can't play the speakers any louder without turning the gain down in my hu

It’s impossible to tune by ear. You can get kinda close to correct tuning by ear. But there is no possible way to tune correctly by ear. You can find your head units distortion point with an oscilloscope since you said you have one. Make sure the eq’s are flat and the loudness and bass boost and other bullshit is off. And never tune the eqs in the positive after tuning. Only negative. Positive creates distortion at this point. Make sure you have some alligator prongs on your oscope leads and now it’s time to check the subwoofer rca pre outs and front and rear pre outs for distortion points. Clamp the positive lead of the oscope on the subwoofer rca prong coming out of the head unit and then clamp the negative on the circular part that goes around the prong. Play a 0db 40hz test tone then adjust the volume until you see the wave clip then back off until it’s smooth. Do the same on the front and rear rca pre outs on the head unit but on a 0db 1000hz tone and do the same with the oscope. Once you find the volumes you can safely play on subwoofers and speakers, if the volume numbers are different, then find you he number in between them 2 numbers and tune at that volume on your head unit. Tune your subwoofer amp on a -5db 40hz tone and your speaker amp on a -5db 1000hz tone. Before tuning, the filters on each amp have to be set as so, hpf or subsonic filter off or turned all the way down and lpf turned all the way up. That 50hz test tone tuning on a subwoofer amp is when you are tuning with a digital multimeter. But you don’t have to do that since you have an oscilloscope. Once your amps are tuned, now it’s time to set the filters. Since your subwoofer enclosure is sealed, there is no need for a subsonic filter. Turn that off. Turn the lpf to 80hz. Then on your speaker amp, turn the amp on hpf and tune it to 75hz so you don’t miss a frequency and it overlaps instead of gaps on frequencies. You can find frequencies points on filters on your subwoofer amp using a digital multimeter. But it doesn’t work on on speaker amps. The best thing to do is actually use a cc1 and dd1 to do these tunings, but if you don’t have the money, then just guesstimate on the frequency on the hpf on the speaker amp but make sure it overlaps with the subwoofer amp. If you accidentally set it to like 50hz or 60hz hpf, the fugh it and it would work. Just set the speaker amp on hpf and try to tune it to 75hz. But if you don’t want to stress about that then just set your filter to full instead of hp or lp and you won’t have to worry about setting your speakers filter capabilities. It would work but it wouldn’t sound as good as a nice crossover or small overlap setup. It would sound like the speakers you have now but louder and clearer. Because the speakers you have now are playing the same frequencies as your subwoofers. If you are fine with that sound but just want louder, then just click that speaker amp switch to full and and say fugh it. That’s what I’m having to do on my taramps 800.4 because it doesn’t play hpf lower than 90hz and I need my speakers to play below that. But when I get a crescendo s4, I’m gonna tune it to 50hz-60hz hpf. I have to wait to test my subwoofer enclosures bandwidth accurately once installed.

Thanks for the explanation. I may have tuned to 40hz but since I'm so used to 50hz with a DMM I think I just said that. I only used the o-scope once.

Can I test these clipping points off the RCA ends if I wanted to install on my HU and put everything back together or is it better to do at the source?

Can I open the filters to fully open and set the filters on the HU itself? And if so, do I set them before or after tuning up the Amp gains. Do I need to retune my sub Amp after installing my speakers Amp and why(just trying to learn, not questioning your intent)?

3 hours ago, SuzukiGS750EZ said:

Thanks for the explanation. I may have tuned to 40hz but since I'm so used to 50hz with a DMM I think I just said that. I only used the o-scope once.

Can I test these clipping points off the RCA ends if I wanted to install on my HU and put everything back together or is it better to do at the source?

Can I open the filters to fully open and set the filters on the HU itself? And if so, do I set them before or after tuning up the Amp gains. Do I need to retune my sub Amp after installing my speakers Amp and why(just trying to learn, not questioning your intent)?

You can test the clipping points on your rca ends. No problem. On your head units filters, which I’m guessing you are speaking of the EQs, those have to be flat, at zero, when you are tuning and then left like that after tuning or if you don’t like that sound, then instead of zero on certain frequencies you can tune in the negatives below zero. But if you go above zero then you are introducing distortion to your setup. You don’t need to retune your subwoofer amp after installing your speaker amp. Just leave the subwoofer amps gain the same and leave it with your subsonic filter off or at zero and the lpf at 80hz. This is because the speakers amp settings don’t affect the subwoofer amps settings. They interact.

14 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

You can test the clipping points on your rca ends. No problem. On your head units filters, which I’m guessing you are speaking of the EQs, those have to be flat, at zero, when you are tuning and then left like that after tuning or if you don’t like that sound, then instead of zero on certain frequencies you can tune in the negatives below zero. But if you go above zero then you are introducing distortion to your setup. You don’t need to retune your subwoofer amp after installing your speaker amp. Just leave the subwoofer amps gain the same and leave it with your subsonic filter off or at zero and the lpf at 80hz. This is because the speakers amp settings don’t affect the subwoofer amps settings. They interact.

Ah. I was asking about the lpf & hpf setting in the HU because with my subs, I have the Amp filters open and have the HU filter 80hz instead at the lpf. I can set them individually subs, front, rear. The HU can get pretty complicated

I looked at that Skar amps filter settings and it’s crazy that it has a subsonic filter and a hpf. Those are the same exact thing. Lol! Im saying this because it’s on the same side as the hpf settings which doesn’t make sense because if it was there to be used in conjunction with the lpf on subwoofers if somebody wanted to use that amp on subwoofers then it would be on the same side as the lpf setting. Then on the subsonic filter on that amp, it has a range that begins at 10hz and the hpf has a range that begins at 50hz. It’s gonna be hard to tune that amps filters unless you have a cc1. So what I would do is just set that amp switch on full which allows any frequency to play to them speakers. If you have tweeters in that circuit, then just put 3.3 microfarad 100v non-polarized capacitors on the posited feed on each tweeter to block lower frequencies. If you have external passive or active crossovers, then you don’t have to worry about capacitors/bass blockers.

36 minutes ago, SuzukiGS750EZ said:

Ah. I was asking about the lpf & hpf setting in the HU because with my subs, I have the Amp filters open and have the HU filter 80hz instead at the lpf. I can set them individually subs, front, rear. The HU can get pretty complicated

There’s no need to use head unit filters.  That just adds extra room for error. If you can turn the filters off, turn the filters off, if not, then basically set the filters on full range. Just use the amp filters. Most people don’t use head unit filters. I always hear people saying they make things confusing and don’t coincide correctly.