Sundown Audio

Vibe black death m14k - clipping issues

stevh0

Hey guys. 

I've recently bought a new vibe audio m14k for my current setup and I am experiencing clipping issues at medium volume, even on low gains.  (1/3 primary gain) (40hz lp) (1/4 boost) 

At first I thought my woofer spiders are still very stiff and this could be the cause, but I thew in my old Chinese powerbass 15s and its doing the exact same thing. 

The lowest my curent drops is about a 12.4, for a split second. 

Stock alternator. (jeep commander) 

Big battery upfront and 2 extra stingers in the back. 

0 gauge cables. 

4v Kenwood 7018bts head unit 

Amplifier is rated at 7k rms (14.4v) and 5k rms at 12. 5v 

Any pointers, ideas or suggestions? 

• 3 weeks later...

"1/3 gain" is kind of ambiguous. "Big battery" is a little ambiguous. Do you mean you are tuned to 1/3 of 7000 watts rms? Are you giving that poor stock alternator more than idle rpm's? 12.4 volts is low even for "a split second."

Are you clipping to music or with test tones? Did you set gains with any overlap? Have you clamped power out at speaker terminals? Are you using bass boost/loudness on the head unit and the amplifier? Is the Level Input set to low?

40 hz low pass is low. Maybe open that up a little bit to say 60 - 80 hz? If you are using a 30 - 45 hz bass boost (you did not list at what frequency) and limiting the amplifier to play only 5 - 40 hz (manual says its response is as low as 5 hz and you did not state if you are using subsonic) I can imagine it would clip early. it is trying to send boosted power to a very small spectrum of frequency. What is your high pass set to? It looks like high pass works as subsonic filter.

There is a "frequency multiplier switch." The manual has no good documentation on this feature other that its selectable x1 or x5. Maybe switch that?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived