Kyle's 4 Runner (again) Second Skin, Damore amps, SMD fuse blocks, and other fun stuff.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings Kyblack!  Just went thru all 10 pages of your build thread.  I'm new to this forum but not to car audio.  Though I have had more than a decade of hiatus.  Anyways, I was curious to see any final graphs you have on your build in REW.  I didn't see any posted. Granted that was a year ago so those pics/posts might have been deleted.  I also wanted to hear your opinion on the Dayton MiniDSP.  I've considered trying them out in a home system but hadn't planned to use them in my next car build, but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to the idea either. 

1 hour ago, TheBKG said:

Greetings Kyblack!  Just went thru all 10 pages of your build thread.  I'm new to this forum but not to car audio.  Though I have had more than a decade of hiatus.  Anyways, I was curious to see any final graphs you have on your build in REW.  I didn't see any posted. Granted that was a year ago so those pics/posts might have been deleted.  I also wanted to hear your opinion on the Dayton MiniDSP.  I've considered trying them out in a home system but hadn't planned to use them in my next car build, but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to the idea either. 

Howdy my friend. I will be doing much more REW plotting very very soon. Shits so fun to tool around with. So, ive had a billion dsp's. From a OG RF360.1, 360.2 360.3, to audio control, audison, and the like. Shits changed, soooo much. So, at the moment, i am currently running the dayton 408. ( I think the MINIDSP is made by the same dudes that made my REW mic) UMIK-1 I payed 96 dollars for it, shipped. This thing, has been HELLA solid. Like, ... i like it better than the RF 360.3 i had. Granted, i was a wicked early adopter of the .3,.. but holy shit, did it have nothing but issues. Several firmware updates, ... the "knob" would cut in and out, on a whim, also, on a whim go to full voltage, when ever it felt like it. I wont go on and on, but, this lil turd? Has been fucking awesome. Simple, easy, rad interface/software. Saving, moving files is dumb simple, and works. I can do it all on my phone, through the blue tooth dongle, that connects, and works correctly, every fucking time. Every time. 

I am now, looking for another dsp, and the mini was in my head, but, i want 6in with 8out. I want the 6 in. This only has 4 as well as i think the mini dsp while having 8 out, i think is only 4 in. That big of a deal? Naw, but, its what i want. Right now, the JL twk88 and HELIX are on my top wants atm. That said, i will ABSOLUTLY put this 408, on my home rig. Hell it comes with a 120v plug, to use in home. 

Gimme some time mate, and ill do some playing around with the mic/rew, and ill for sure dip in here. Cheers and welcome mate. Kinda a bummer,.. this forum a few years ago, was fucking epic. Its good now, its just other ways of connecting these days, are much more, and theres more of them. (IG, FB, that sorta shit) Stay gold mate. 

KB

MINIDSP, UMIK1 and shit, also, check out their new stuff, that DIRAC and SHD stuff looks rad :

https://www.minidsp.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCBtd7USmefQjEp1qRTExokxRmm-fZbQK6j1JEdVb-rH5ifaLnSbi6hoCWM8QAvD_BwE

The DAYTON I'm runnin meow: (Yes, sadly, price has changed,... a ton)

https://www.minidsp.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCBtd7USmefQjEp1qRTExokxRmm-fZbQK6j1JEdVb-rH5ifaLnSbi6hoCWM8QAvD_BwE

Whoops!  That's what I get for writing posts at 3am.  LOL!  Yeah I'm familiar with both MiniDSP and Dayton Audio.  Somewhere along the 10 pages of forum I got my wires crossed.  

I actually had a 16 year career working in Pro Audio so I learned system tuning in that field.  Getting the Car Audio bug again I started checking out all the DSP options today, deciding what I want to do when I've got the funds to do a build.  At first I had landed on the JL TWK88 myself.  I think it's a bit more advanced than AudioControl, and from reading/watching reviews it's much cleaner than Audison.  However, then I watched an interview 5 Star Stereo did with one of the top SQ Competitors and he talked about why he had made the switch from the JL to the Helix.  And after reading up on the Helix hardware and checking out its software So Did I!! 

Oh and I'm with you on REW.  I've been using them since Ver 4.0, absolutely LOVE that program!  Even back then I was shocked at such high quality Freeware that rivaled software on the market priced in the Thousands $,$$$!!!  And it's come a long way since then. 

• 3 weeks later...

Found that the head unit is clean to full/max volume. Set the sub amplifier at -7.5db overlap. I was close, but now I know the head unit is clean (my biggest want) and the board is set with my prefered overlap. Good shit. Gets down ok. Next, is fighting the roof rattles. I want to get into the headliner, put some mass up there in a few specific areas, and i think thatll help a ton.  Also ran sweeps and saw what the vehicle and enclosure like. It has a super flat responce, barely losing a db in 20 herz. It has a nice nice "peak" around 28hz, and then again around 40hz. Its kinda acting like a band pass. I dig it. Im glad the vehicle resonates low.  On to rattle fighting. 

20220523_130207.jpg

Meh…

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 8:19 PM, strangeduck said:

had to go back through this to refresh my memory. looking good man! 

Yerrrr,.. whats cracking homie. Its coming along pretty decent. I kinda wish id done 12's (the space) but, this lil molle panel and shelf system is pretty dope, and glad it actually fit. I dig it. Hope you and yours are well homeslice. 

Archived