New amp power wire(s)

I know this has been asked billion times but I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer... I pre ordered the new CAB45 and I'm assuming dual 1/0 is minimum but would one run of 4/0 be sufficient to run  for a main feed wire to a distribution block for that 5k and my 65x4 a/b amp mounted in rear of dodge caravan or a additional 4g for 4 channel? I will have 260A oem alternator (car audio alts are just to expensive at the moment) with likely a overdrive pulley to help with low rpm output where most oem alts suffer, and an extra AGM battery mounted back there too. As far as running the wire it's going to be run underneath the vehical not wrestled through the interior. Just trying to do sufficient upgrades but as usual on a budget . ( I Already did a stout big 3)

26 minutes ago, liteblue said:

My understanding is two runs of 1/0 is equal to one run of 4/0 wire in terms of cmils. 

Almost. Pretty damn close though. They rate 1/0 car audio OFC cable usually around  12mm = 350 amps (conservatively) and 4/0 around 18mm = 600 amps (again, conservatively). 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

The Arizona liquor laws website? Lol. Naw dude, just messing with you. I know you meant bcae1.com. 

I was actually going off what dealers rate their respective wires at. Knukoncepts, GP, Full Tilt, SHCA....

Also, they've all gone way off the American wire gauge standard sizing. Of course, welding cable still uses the AWG. Car audio has gone the way of my stuff is better than your stuff. How do you make your wire better than the competitors? Oversize it so it carries more current. Most 1/0 car audio cable is now about the same size, and carries about the same amperage as 2/0 welding cable. 4/0 welding cable about equals 2/0 car audio cable.... so on and so forth. Not to mention the difference between OFC car audio cable and pure copper welding cable. The OFC will carry more and be more durable to the elements, but for a regular, run off the mill system, usually welding cable works just fine. 

Sorry, kind of got off topic there lol

Big oof by me lol totally ment bcae1.com this is a great website for basics and I advise anyone to read the /wire page. So much good information. 

Even with oversized wires, would two two 1/0 oversized equal one 4/0 oversized?

That's why I like cmil ratings. It is area of the smallest stand then multiplied up by total stands. Shok industries talks about this on the page about there fatty 8/0 cable, aka like 370 mcm. 

Also I think hifi Vega or budget gem or bust made a video and Google docs of wire by weight of copper. Great source for what are you actually paying for. 

4 minutes ago, liteblue said:

Big oof by me lol totally ment bcae1.com this is a great website for basics and I advise anyone to read the /wire page. So much good information. 

Even with oversized wires, would two two 1/0 oversized equal one 4/0 oversized?

That's why I like cmil ratings. It is area of the smallest stand then multiplied up by total stands. Shok industries talks about this on the page about there fatty 8/0 cable, aka like 370 mcm. 

Also I think hifi Vega or budget gem or bust made a video and Google docs of wire by weight of copper. Great source for what are you actually paying for. 

One 4/0 is almost 2 1/0 as far as rating. It's pretty close though. If I had to guess, on a normal, everyday system, you could get away with using 1 4/0 instead of 2 1/0. But if you're one of those getting every ounce out of every piece of equipment kind of person, you'd be cutting it close. 

And yeah dude, seems like you like to read all the info you can, like me. That 8/0 is massive! 1000 amps! I'd use it if they sold it by the foot. But I can't afford $1000 for 50' or whatever it is. It is worth the money though. I will be using the knukoncepts 4/0 in my build though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Man I didn't get any notifications on responses... Anywho thank you all for taking the time to reply to a question like that. I guess I'll just do the dual 1/0, Im shooting for car audio cable. It sucks  a few years ago i recycled 2 30' runs of decent 4/0 welding cable... I don't plan on taking short cuts on my newest build but I am going to have to maximize my dollar...other than big 3 I need to upgrade everything for the CAB, for to long I've been taxing everything and hurting output of my apcle1800 (along with a 50x4  a/b) on stock old batt and 140A alt. Holds good voltage on meter but has dips the volt meter doesn't catch quick enough head light flicker bad and the other day pushing it the speedo went nutty. But only do full chooch in short sessions don't wanna clip my coils to death. Thanks again everyone

Archived