Sundown Audio

GAIN AND BASS EQ

Anthony10111

I have 2 EVL 12s (1250rms each) running @ 2ohms (1700rms) on a 1ohm stable amp .. I set my gain properly using a multimeter , and a 50hz bass test with my HU 3/4 the way up..  I normally only keep my volume a little over halfway up.. Becuz the highs get too loud.. Since I'm not getting the full 1700 to my subs with my HU only halfway up.. Can I crank my "Bass EQ" on my amp?To get my full power at a lower volume ?

The bass eq won't damage your amp, but it has the potential to send a very clipped signal to your subs which will result in blown voice coils. My recommendation is either put your mids and highs on a "bass knob" so you can manually control just that part of the system without using the master volume on the head unit (assuming your using an amplifier for your mids and highs). If you've got some sort of eq on your head unit, you could play with the high frequencies on that to try and lower the output at high volumes. Or deal with it. It is what it is. 

If you absolutely must turn up the bass (which I don't recommend), do it a little at a time. Slap it for a while, sniff around for a burning electrical smell. Feel your dust caps to see if they're getting warm. Either of those things can lead to speaker failure. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

6 hours ago, Anthony10111 said:

@DafaselesHow do you know when your signal is clipping 

The only ways I know of is you'd have to buy, or get a hold  of in some way, a distortion director, or an oscilloscope. Or you can buy a bass knob with a clip light

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

what amplifier?

Position you have your gain turned determines nothing. Bass boost is nasty, It is amazing how easily it turns the sine wave to a clipped signal. Turn the speakers down at the HU, amp the interiors or get a line driver are some options. If you run speakers off the head unit and only a sub amp, turn the volume to how ever loud the interior speakers sound good. If sending a little distortion into a sub amp you will have no problems, if the signal is clean on a speaker it will be fine at the amp. If the distortion was too much you would potentially have a couple notes off. Fun fact: You can send a square wave into a amp and it will come out a sine wave. 

Thank you guys.. I figured it out.. I did 1700rms x 2 ohms = 3400 squared (58.3Volts) And used a multimeter to properly set my Bass eq and gain at MY volume level (Halfway up) . Quite simple actually... Now I'm getting all my 1700 watts of bass with out my highs screaming my ears out.. Hell yeah.

Archived