Second Skin Audio

BMW X5 build

Scotnemily

I am still worried that these might have an issue hitting the floor cover when playing. I am confident they will fit when not on, but I think there is going to be less than 1/4 inch of space. maybe 1/8 inch. I have a few options if I don't have the clearance I need. I am also open to ideas, so please feel free to post them.

First, I might make a bracket that connects to the floor hinge and off sets the floor cover by 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I would have to do something in the front and on the sides to secure it.

Second, I could just take out my factory floor panel and then make a custom fit on to match the rear of the car. I could then have a couple of removable panels that can be removed and kept in the back under the floor when I am sing the subs, but put in place if I am hauling something.

the third option would be the easiest but most expensive. I could swap those 3 8" subs for something like the Image Dynamics IDQ8. They don't have the super high surround foam or excursion these do, so they would work fine.

Actually If I wasn't trying to use subs I already had I would defiantly not have picked these for this build do to the space issues I might have to deal with. I would have probably went with a couple of shallow 10" subs or shallow 12" subs. or even those IDQ8's I do like Image Dynamics, but it has been years since I used them.

Ok on lunch break I put the box back in the car. box fits great. I really think the subs are gonna be a problem though. they stick up almost the same as the thickness of 1 sheet of the Baltic birch I am using. They are just a little less then that. The floor also wont close correctly with the thickness of one more baffle. It will force closed, but there is definitely a fitment issue. I guess I could sink these into the box a little more, but I am already closer to the magnet then I wanted to be. Right now there is roughly .6" of space between the magnet and the bottom of the box. since these vent out of the center of the magnet, I don't want to go any closer.

You probably already know, but, they recommend you leave the diameter of the pole vent away from the back of the box so it can dissipate heat properly. If it's a 1" hole, be 1"away from the wall. Me not being familiar with those subs, if the hole is less than .6" in diameter, you could get a little closer. Just throwing out ideas. I want it to work. Looks like a bad ass box! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

6 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

You probably already know, but, they recommend you leave the diameter of the pole vent away from the back of the box so it can dissipate heat properly. If it's a 1" hole, be 1"away from the wall. Not being familiar with those subs, if the hole is less than .6" in diameter, you could get a little closer. Just throwing out ideas. I want it to work. Looks like a bad ass box! 

Thanks and that is the problem. I am already closer than I wanted to be. hole is a 1" diameter vent. I went to .6" behind them because I am not planning on putting more than 500 RMS to each one. I was hoping to push the numbers a little because I though this would let it fit. I am afraid these 8" subs are a little too massive for this box. I could do something custom with a false floor, but IDK. it is making those IDQ8's look like a good idea.

4 hours ago, Scotnemily said:

Thanks and that is the problem. I am already closer than I wanted to be. hole is a 1" diameter vent. I went to .6" behind them because I am not planning on putting more than 500 RMS to each one. I was hoping to push the numbers a little because I though this would let it fit. I am afraid these 8" subs are a little too massive for this box. I could do something custom with a false floor, but IDK. it is making those IDQ8's look like a good idea.

Yeah, I figured you'd already know that. One of those I'd rather say something and not have to than should have said something but didn't moments. 

How much more space do you need? Maybe not put a full piece onto the baffle, but just like a plastic "beauty" panel or something if you just need a little. Or a thin, painted piece of wood. Like an 8th of an inch or something. I don't know how much more you can get away with and still have that floor close easily

No thanks for the help. sometimes it is the simplest things I tend to overlook. As for how much space I need, I am not sure yet. I think I need the thickness of on sheet of my Baltic birch at minimum. that will let the sub clear while not playing. however when it plays it is going to need more space. I haven't wanted to accept this but it is a fact. it is not going to fit without some type of mod to the floor. I ordered 3 idq8 subs to see how much better they will fit. they don't have the super high surround, and don't have the pole vent on the bottom of the magnet. also have a shallower mounting depth. I am sure they will work, I was just trying to use what I had laying around...

Now I am considering changing the amp. My current one does not fit where I want to put it. I need one a little smaller. The IDQ subs only 300-500 RMS to each one. I of course I messed up and got the dual 4 ohm version. if I had gotten the dual 2 ohm version I could have used something like the CT sounds AT-900.1  it is small and would have probably powered them fine.  So I guess If I get another amp I need one that will put out 900-1500 RMS At 2 ohm. I will be at 2.67, but not a huge deal. not like I am competing for SPL with this. I would say the max amp size that will fit is 13"x13" I might be able to go as much as 14" or 15" but I have to measure again. I know my Synergy is 17" and would almost fit, but not quite and no room for power and ground.

Well, Like I said about missing obvious things, as I look at the picture that shows the synergy amp, it really looks like there is room for it to set to the right side of the battery. I know it will not set on the floor and fit, but it really looks like it should fit if I build a platform up from the floor. I am going to check that again and verify.

1 hour ago, Scotnemily said:

Well, Like I said about missing obvious things, as I look at the picture that shows the synergy amp, it really looks like there is room for it to set to the right side of the battery. I know it will not set on the floor and fit, but it really looks like it should fit if I build a platform up from the floor. I am going to check that again and verify.

If you can't get it to fit, how do you feel about the full bridge amps? The Sundown sfb3000d is less than 10"×10" and, I'd have to look at the numbers, but I'd assume it does at least 1500 at 2 ohm. I'm not completely sold on the sound quality of the full bridge amps.... but that's probably me just being an old man shaking his fist at the clouds lol. Just throwing an idea out there is all. 

Thanks for the suggestion on the amp.  I will think about it. I have heard the full bridge amps don't have the woofer control/sound quality of other amps. I have no personal experience with them.

Looks like the Synergy amp might fit. 

4FnTmJD.jpg

Only thing about putting it like this is not sure if the floor will close. looks like it is going to be really close. I will have to mock something up to hold them amp so I can test that.  I guess it does fit the other way I was gonna use it, so I really don't need to buy another amp. but I would consider it. I also looked at the synergy wfo 15.2D and it would fit, just really more then I want to spend when I don't need to.

Archived