Second Skin Audio

BMW X5 build

Scotnemily

I take back what I said about the IRAD, it worked yesterday, but won’t work today. 
I did have to program it twice yesterday, and I am guessing it will work again if I go through the program steps again. I checked my voltage, and it is the same as it was yesterday with the car on and off. Not sure why it has to be programmed again...

I wonder if the wire I am tapped into is not always hot after all. I thought it was. It has been 12v every time I check it with the car off. However I know on my last bmw, some wires got 12v after the car was woke up, like door unlocked etc. but after 10 mins or so they will go back to sleep. I wonder if this is what is happening here. The IRAD has to have power to it all the time, or it looses it’s programming and has to be programmed again. That would also explain why it worked testing it several times in a row, but 2 hours later I had to reprogram it, then it worked again each time I tested it. And today, after it has set again it doesn’t work. Should be easy enough to test

20 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

I wonder if the wire I am tapped into is not always hot after all. I thought it was. It has been 12v every time I check it with the car off. However I know on my last bmw, some wires got 12v after the car was woke up, like door unlocked etc. but after 10 mins or so they will go back to sleep. I wonder if this is what is happening here. The IRAD has to have power to it all the time, or it looses it’s programming and has to be programmed again. That would also explain why it worked testing it several times in a row, but 2 hours later I had to reprogram it, then it worked again each time I tested it. And today, after it has set again it doesn’t work. Should be easy enough to test

That's some good BMW knowledge right there! I would have been puzzled! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

And that was the problem. I just verified by opening the rear hatch and stood there until you can hear the car go back to sleep. Around 10 mins. Then I checked the wire, and it no longer had 12v on it. This gives me a few options. Knowing the wire is not always hot, I could just hook it to the remote in on the LOC. The amp and LOC would stay on for about 10 mins after the car was shut off. Since the radio isn’t on, the amp shouldn’t draw very much power. I could leave it like that and it should be fine. For now, I ran another wire straight to my battery and hooked the IRAD to that. Then used it to turn everything on. Again, this appears to work also. One advantage it has is it shuts off the amp in just a couple of seconds after the car is off. When I get the wavtech LOC in, I will see if it can turn on with the radio signal. If it does, that will be the method I use. If not, I can pick from the other 2 options.

I guess the IRAD just does not work well with this car. It sometimes comes on and sometimes it does not. when it comes on some times is stays powered on, some times it does not. I have monitored my voltage during use, and it is always within 0.2V so it should not be shutting off. So far the only thing it has done correct every time is shut off when the car is shut off. The other LOC is coming in today. the audio signal detect is <100mV min is around 10.4mV so it should work. if not I will just use that wire that is hot for 10 minutes after the car is off.

Wavtech LOC installed and it works as it should. I can tell I am going to have some tuning fun with this. Some of the songs the bass volume doubles depending on the frequency. Seems to be around 30hz it gets really loud. Makes some songs hard to listen too. I will get it eventually. Next task is to clean up some of the wires to the loc. 

I just purchased a Rockford Fosgate DSR1. I don't know if I will ever use it for more than adjusting the Bass curve, but it should have the ability to do more than that if I replace the rest of the factory speakers later. I strongly considered a Helix DSP, one from Audison and one from mosconi. In the end they were more expensive, probably would be a waste of money for bass, and a big one for me, had to be controlled via laptop. I can adjust the Rockford with my Iphone, which is always with me, unlike my laptop.

• 9 months later...

I am now looking to replace my factory amp. I need to get something to interface with my MOST system. I have a few options there. My main thing I am trying to decide on is the amp. I am looking at the Helix V eight. the main thing it is only an 8 channel amp. I have 9 factory speakers. Helix also makes a V twelve, but there is a pro version of the 8 and it seems to have a lot better dsp built in. Not sure If I would ever notice the difference in sound between the 2. does anyone have any experience with these amps? thanks

Sorry I meant mine had 9 channels I believe. It has 16 speakers. If I went with one of the 8 channel amps I would lose my center channel.

Archived