Second Skin Audio

BMW X5 build

Scotnemily

1 hour ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I skimmed through this thread and I like the build. How far are them pole vents on them IDQs from that board? Fugh the subwoofers heating up. That’s a problem, but if tuned correctly and not played for long periods of time wouldnt cause a problem for a while, but since I’m a bass head, it doesn’t seem like the main problem if you ask me. Yeah, that would make them heat up quicker. But, the main thing to understand about a pole vent being too close, is that the subwoofers output is affected. Smothering causes heat “and” MINIMIZES OUTPUT.

Thanks. The image dynamics don’t have a pole vent in the back like the Vfl subs do. They have vents around the coils that force air around the coil. The magnets are around 1.5 inches I think from the bottoms of the box. I didn’t measure since it didn’t matter with these

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing too exciting, but a couple more pictures.

First I am going to install the 2nd battery in this location. Just have the Ground cable laying here for now.

AjaaHH3.jpg

Next I installed a harness that connects to my stock harness and has speaker, and power and ground connections to my LOC. I was going to make a bracket and find a place to mount the LOC, then I decided to just put some extra strong Velcro on it and set it on top of my factory amp. :) 

If this doesn't work I will do something different later.

b2afKIV.jpg

I got everything hooked up, I will post pics later. I ran into a problem though. My amp didn’t power on. I checked my LOC and no power light. The LOC is providing the remote turn on for the amp. I checked power to the LOC and it is good. After about an hour of testing and verifying it is hooked up correctly, I cranked the volume way up on the radio. This turns everything on, but the power light on the LOC goes on and off with the bass. What I have concluded is the sensitivity on the LOC is not high enough to come on with the radio. I am using a audio control LC2i. I don’t see anything in the manual about adjusting the sensitivity. Any ideas?

After a couple more hours of reading, it looks like audio control says the GTO feature just doesn’t work with some cars. I am pretty sure that is my problem. I am going to bypass it tomorrow and hook the remote straight to +12v and see if it works like that. If it does, then I will know the GTO doesn’t work in this car.

here are a couple of pictures of the battery.

I made the ground wire on the right side about 2 inches too short to go on the left side of the battery. it works on the right side, I just wanted it on the other side. I might cut the power cable going to the other battery shorter, I already had one this length so I used it.

L1Owin8.jpg

I just set the Circuit breaker on top of the other battery.

WdbGL1W.jpg

I will probably zip tie these in place after I get everything working.

Quick update, I turned off the GTO and put a jumper wire from 12v+ to the remote on the LOC, it comes on and works as it should. I found out I have another problem. not sure what it is yet. I have zero power coming out of the amp. amp is on, and LOC is putting out voltage, but nothing coming out of the amp. I don't have time right now to dig further, I will try to do so on my lunch break.

Turns out it was a super simple fix. amp got changed from master to slave. it works now and sound pretty impressive for 3 8" subs. Not quite as loud as the 2 12" subs in the last BMW, but cleaner.

I will try to get some video of it playing. I have to do some adjustments on my Gains, and tie into an accessory wire so I don't have to manually disconnect the LOC to turn it and the amp off.

I just bought a Wāvtech IRAD. If it works it will be quicker and easier to use it for the remote, then track down a factory one and remove panels to get to it.

Hooked up the IRAD, seems to work great!

I remember now what I didn’t like about the lc2i, the bass is cut off at 33hz. I decided to order one of the wavtech LOC and try it. It also has more sensing options than the lc2i, so I probably won’t need the IRAD with it. I tried taking a couple of videos, but they turned out super crappy. I will try again.

Archived