Second Skin Audio

Will a sealed set-up sound good at 3-5k?

Cvkid

Hello Everyone,

I'm doing a new build. The car is a 1998 mustang cobra. The trunk is pretty small so I have to stay around 1cu per sub.  I've never ran a sealed set-up at more than 1k. I've heard 3k is a little too much for a sealed build, but I've also heard guys say it would be fine. My last sub set-up won't fit in this car. I'm have to get new subs for this build so I wanted to make sure it will work before buying.

My amp is a Taramps smart 3

The sub set-up I'm currently looking at is two SSA Gcon 12's sealed at one 1cu per. If sealed won't work I plan on doing one 2500 rms 12", ssa or IA.

I want a musical daily set-up that has a full spectrum of bass.  I don't  blast my music constantly, but I want it to be there if I choose. 

Nothing is set in stone yet, so any input would be greatly appreciated. 

15 hours ago, Cvkid said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm doing a new build. The car is a 1998 mustang cobra. The trunk is pretty small so I have to stay around 1cu per sub.  I've never ran a sealed set-up at more than 1k. I've heard 3k is a little too much for a sealed build, but I've also heard guys say it would be fine. My last sub set-up won't fit in this car. I'm have to get new subs for this build so I wanted to make sure it will work before buying.

My amp is a Taramps smart 3

The sub set-up I'm currently looking at is two SSA Gcon 12's sealed at one 1cu per. If sealed won't work I plan on doing one 2500 rms 12", ssa or IA.

I want a musical daily set-up that has a full spectrum of bass.  I don't  blast my music constantly, but I want it to be there if I choose. 

Nothing is set in stone yet, so any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Those subs should be good sealed. 

And as for the power, people put tons of power in 4th orders, that's essentially a sealed enclosure. 

And my personal opinion, if you could squeeze more than 1 cubic foot a sub, I think you'd be happier with that. Maybe use one of those sub box builder programs and see what that'll give you

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

I might be able to go a tad bigger, maybe 1.15 per sub, but that's about it. The trunk opening is pretty narrow. I have to build two separate boxes to fit them in one at a time.

I've had a few people tell me sealed at 3k is not a good idea. But I can't fit anything of size through the trunk opening. I guess I'm going to find out. 

Thank you. 

I mean, people put 10k, even 20k on 4th order enclosures. That's sealed on one side of the sub. I'm no professional on the subject, but I didn't want to leave you hanging on your question. 

I've personally ran "4k" on 4 12's sealed, and I loved it. But it's time to upgrade lol. 

SSA recommends 1 cube to 1.25 cubes per sub. The displacement on those subs are .13. So technically, gross, you'd need 1.13 cubes per sub minimum. I don't know much about that car, but do you think you could remove the backseat and slide the enclosure into the trunk that way, then put the seat back? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived