Is it incorrect to get a 3 way if I have 8" midbass?

punkrocker

Also I'll be running 180Wx2 x4 midbass 8" drivers, so uh... what would be a good midrange and tweeter to pair with these? 

I plan on going with neo pro's and for bass sundown sd4 x 3.

I plan on going with co-axials in the rear. And tweeter and maybe a 3 way or like I said am I incorrect and a 3 way includes midbass already? 

Also, what's some very nice sq midrange / tweeter / crossover combo with tweeter management with pristine sound that can get loud? I'm asking the pro's here who have heard systems. My vehicle is a tacoma 2nd gen double cab.

3 way setups are midbass, midrange and tweeter. If you're using a passive crossover that came with the 3 way system, it'll already be crossed over where it's safe for the speakers to be. If not, you have to run active off a DSP or your head unit. 

But realize, I'd say a good 75%-85% of your sound quality is going to come from the installation process, not your equipment. Sound deadener! Sound deadener! Sound deadener! 

As far as what sounds good, what sounds good to me, might not sound good to you. That's a tough one to answer. It took me almost a year to figure out what mids and highs I want to run. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Did anyone mention sound dampner?

Another big factor to consider is speaker placement. Where is your front stage coming from? Kick panels, doors, dash? Determining your listening position vs. The on/off axis response of a given speaker can drastically change the perceived quality. 

All else fails, just buy the most expensive speakers you can. As we all know, the more expensive the more better! Right?!??

What amp do you plan on running? You could have the best speakers ever and feed them dirty power and they will sound shitty.

My advice, get a decent class AB amp (low thd%), and a mid to high end set of component speakers. Custom mount the tweeters and play around with the positioning.

If money is no issue a mcintosh amp and some focal k2 power mids with the beryllium tweeters should do the trick 🤑

• 2 months later...

Archived